• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about adding more RAMM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thehunt78

Registered
Right now I'm in the process of buying parts for a build. My build is based around the Asus P8Z77-V LGA MB and OC i5 3750. The other day I found a sale on RAMM - Corsair 4g x 2 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. I was happy with that when I ordered it but in doing some reading the last couple days I'm really leaning toward 16g of RAMM. My question is two parts.
1 - Can I just buy another set exaclty the same and add them to my other two DIMM slots for 4g x 4. Or would I need to send them back and get a complete set of 4g x 4? The model number is a bit different if I order this way but they all have the same timing and voltage.
2 - Is it better to run 4g x 4 to get 16g as opposed to 8g x 2 if the MB accepts either?

Right now I'm in the process of buying parts for a build. My build is based around the Asus P8Z77-V LGA MB and OC i5 3750. The other day I found a sale on RAMM - Corsair 4g x 2 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B. I was happy with that when I ordered it but in doing some reading the last couple days I'm really leaning toward 16g of RAMM. My question is two parts.
1 - Can I just buy another set exaclty the same and add them to my other two DIMM slots for 4g x 4. Or would I need to send them back and get a complete set of 4g x 4? The model number is a bit different if I order this way but they all have the same timing and voltage.
2 - Is it better to run 4g x 4 to get 16g as opposed to 8g x 2 if the MB accepts either?

1 - Yes, you can buy another set and run all 4 together as long as they are -exactly- the same (Brand/Timings/Capacity/Voltage. Model number will be different, yes, because its a different set).

2 - I wouldn't really say that one is better than the other aside from the fact that the 2x8 gives you room to upgrade to 32GB if you ever want/need to (unlikely). Some will say that 2x8 is better because more sticks = more stress on the memory controller but in this day and age I wouldn't give two thoughts about that.

Thank you Reap. This is accualy for a HTPC/NAS build but I was thinking about throwing a high-end GPU in it so I can play games on occasion. The kids have thier PS3s but I just want a do-all toy for myself thats not limited to what it can do. I'm on a budget so I can't afford a HTPC/NAS/Gaming rig all seperatly.

I cant figure out why 2x4GB isnt enough anyway... its not like more, if you arent maxing out already, will increase performance.

No problem hunt! Nothing wrong with an all-in-one build.

Also, EarthDog has a point, maybe you should give the 2x4GB a go on their own before spending more money on an upgrade to see if it is actually necessary.

I guess I'm just thinking future. It was only a few years 1GB RAMM was overkill. I'm planning on slightly overclocking this i5 3750 and putting in a high-end GPU. 8GB may serve me well now but what about a year or more down the road. I'm new to CP building and would rather build something future proof than always having to upgrade to change with the times.

It should serve you well in a year too... I have 8GB and have no plans to move forward for any reason until I need it. RAM is cheap now, no doubt, but... its likely b the time you NEED to upgrade, DDR4 will be out and you would want to move to that platform.

I guess I'm just thinking future. It was only a few years 1GB RAMM was overkill. I'm planning on slightly overclocking this i5 3750 and putting in a high-end GPU. 8GB may serve me well now but what about a year or more down the road. I'm new to CP building and would rather build something future proof than always having to upgrade to change with the times.

Fair enough. Honestly RAM is very well priced these days so it's not like I can say "save money on the RAM and put it into 'x' other component" because the difference is probably like going from a stock GPU to a factory overclocked model from the same company. Not all that much.

Unless you're using it for design/benching/folding/etc 8GB should fall into the realm of future proof.

Ultimately it is your call but with 2x4 you can always drop another 2x4 kit down the line should you ever deem it necessary. It's not a now or never purchase. :D

Well I thank both of you. I feel I can rest a little easier with what I got. It just seems like when you look aroung at some of these other builds people are posting with stuff like 32GB ramm on the same MB you have you start to think maybe you skimped on something you shouldn't have. I guess some people have the money to throw into things they'll never use just for bragging rights.

Back