• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about amd turbo core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

praj

Registered
hay guys i have a phenom x6 1055t and have over clocked to 3.4 ghz(cant go further) disabling turbo core ,i read about turbo core and it says that if only 3 core are in use it chanes the multiplyer to 16.5from 14 so in the default setting of bios(clocked to 2.8gh)if i disable 3 of the 6 cores wont it boost it always (from 2.8 to 3.6 and about the same for the already over cloked one 3.4 to 4ghz) would this work.

No clue... but why would you disable this in the first place? Why not overclock all the cores at that speed?

In my signature is a link to overclocking that family of CPU's check it out and give it a try. If you have any questions, post em up here!

You could experiment with that. Turbo core is a misleading term in my opinion. In order to conserve power and cut down on heat production, this technology holds back some of the cores while allowing the others to accelerate. For some types of applications this is a good idea because they can't use more than two, three or four cores anyway, i.e. these apps are not well multi-threaded. A lot of computer games fall into this category. Recognizing this, Intel has focused their energy on developing CPUs that produce a lot of performance per core per clock cycle. Other apps, for instance programs that render audio/video files or that do file compression/decompression and are well multi-threaded benefit from a lot of cores. This latter category is where AMD CPUs shine because AMD has focused on developing CPUs with many cores. High volume servers is another place where many cores really help.

The long and short of what I am saying is that you might cut down on the heat load of your CPU by disabling 2 or three cores and focus on overclocking the remainder as high as possible. That might give you better performance in the kind of computing you typically do.

Last edited:
hay guys i have a phenom x6 1055t and have over clocked to 3.4 ghz(cant go further) disabling turbo core ,i read about turbo core and it says that if only 3 core are in use it chanes the multiplyer to 16.5from 14 so in the default setting of bios(clocked to 2.8gh)if i disable 3 of the 6 cores wont it boost it always (from 2.8 to 3.6 and about the same for the already over cloked one 3.4 to 4ghz) would this work.

Yellow star under your name but yet no signature.
How to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

TurboCore on Thuban processors does not function nearly as well as on the later FX style processors and most still bypass its' use for clocking all the cores instead of relying on TurboCore.

Secondly most or at least many motherboards that are pushing all cores to a certain speed by an overclock, then do not allow use of Turbo Core at all.
RGone...

hey guys i tried it all of them were stable ,i used amd over drive for bench marking they lost about 2000 points(form 6400 to 4200)unusualy in the win rating sys there was no drop of points , i moitered the core speed the multipler never went above 14,have you got any sugestions mother bord is asus msa78l-m lx.

which do you think is a brtter bench marking softwer than amd because it gives me different score every time i try it (max diff is about 500),thanki

which do you think is a brtter bench marking softwer than amd because it gives me different score every time i try it (max diff is about 500),thanki

That's a normal variation.

And how about you helping us who are trying to help you by complying with the request to create a Signature so that you system info travels with every post you make? Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks. Add some info about your PSU please, make and watts. And if you are using the stock cooler, state so or if an aftermarket cooler, make and model. Info about case make and model or just "no name" case if you don't know.

have you got any sugestions mother bord is asus msa78l-m lx.

Yes get rid of that cheap non-overclock friendly motherboard.

To get to 3700Mhz which some of those low multiplier locked cpus would do; you need 265 x 14 = 3700Mhz.

I doubt that board will even do 250 HT Ref or FSB as we once called it. So you are just stuck at about 3400Mhz.

250 x 14 = 3500 mhz which is not but 100Mhz faster than you say you are able to run now. Most of those low multiplier locked cpus are nothing but a pain to run fast especially on a less than friendly overclocking motherboard.

You might as well learn to love your 3400Mhz or be prepared to spend some money.
RGone...

Back