• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about fans in thermaltake a31

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

novabean22

Registered
So there are locations for 6 case fans, 2 intake(front), 1 bottom, 2 top and one rear. I know you can plug them directly into the psu butyou wont have control over rpm. But what if theres not enough ports on the mobo for all the fans, couldi plug into the psu and use a drivebay fan controller? Also have to plug in the cpu cooler. Basically just reaching out for ways to hook up these fans because this my first build and not sure what i can and cant get away with and all that. My case isa thermaltake a31. Thank in advance for any help.

you can use molex to 3pin-4pin controller or a Fan controller.

Note you dont need to put fans in every hole :)

BTW if the fan as 4 cables you can controller with apps like speedfan or even the same motherboard (from bios)

A fan controller will come either 3pin, 4pin or Molex, make sure you use the correct one if your, also theres fans that come in molex format which you can connect dirrectly to PSU

I have to research more about airflow but ill most likely use the 2 front intake and 2 top for exhaust. I also hear that you want positive pressure in the case and have it all blow out the back. So that would be 2 front and 2 top as intake. I would like to use the nzxt fan controller i forget what its called but its analog and 5 channels up to 30w i think. It takes up a single 5.25 bay.

I have to research more about airflow but ill most likely use the 2 front intake and 2 top for exhaust. I also hear that you want positive pressure in the case and have it all blow out the back. So that would be 2 front and 2 top as intake. I would like to use the nzxt fan controller i forget what its called but its analog and 5 channels up to 30w i think. It takes up a single 5.25 bay.

You always want your air flow going in the front and bottom and out the back and topp. No need to fight mother nature unless you have no choice.
I'm also a firm believer in more fans, air flow is crucial and the more the merrier, better to have 6 low speed then 3 high speed IMO helps keep it quiet.
thermaltake_chaser_a31_black.jpg

On my aging antec 900, the top 220mm fan is flipped to push in. No side panel and liquid cooled cpu/vga and that's about the most case flow I need. The 2x 120.2 rads on the other hand have lots of CFM out side the case.

Assuming your configuration and cooling is likely very similar to Johan's description there, I gave him a thanks for his accuracy.

The image provided is good. I'm getting a sunbeam fan controller as suggested by other members here. Is a couple bucks more than the nzxt mesh but it has pwm :)

outcome

okay so I ended up going with 5 fans, two intake in front, and three exhaust out the back and top, that will make it a negative case pressure? which I hear is better for air flow. I just need to block the bottom fan space so that air doesn't get drawn in the empty spot. case also has filters on every intake and exhaust, other than the back.

Back