• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Question about first time Watercooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manesag

Registered
Hey guys, so I received a broken Power Mac G5 2.5 Quad which comes with a pretty hefty aluminum radiator, 2 Delphi (I believe D5) pumps and its own water block and tubing for its dual processor configuration.

My rig is as follows

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
MoBo: Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
Ram: Patriot G2-8GB-1333Mhz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7990 (reference design)
CPU Cooler: Corsair A70

My question is when I finally get that damned cooler out of the Power Mac, Could I reuse the Rads and Pumps and watercool my Radeon 7990?

Here is an image of what I want to do:
What I also planned on doing was spray painting the sides of the Rad Black (not the fins, just the side walls) and maybe making a shroud on top with some sheet metal aluminum to keep it clean looking.
Another thing would be fan, which I would most likely get a 200MM fan and run that at the top of the case. The main reason is that going through some Power Mac forums, the radiator is so large that even without fans it can cool really well, I would obviously want to run a fan for redundancy but still.

Last edited:
That card is gonna pull 550+ watts which would overwhelm that small radiator quickly. That pump is a Liang DDC which is a great pump with tons of options and mods for.

It doesn't look like I put it in the original post, but the radiator is 180MM by 140MM and its probably around 60-70mm thick. Are you sure thats not enought to cool the 7990?

Its an automotive style rad, not saying it wont work just that there are a lot more efficient options plus you have to be careful with galvanic corrosion throwing an aluminum rad in your loop.

Its an automotive style rad, not saying it wont work just that there are a lot more efficient options plus you have to be careful with galvanic corrosion throwing an aluminum rad in your loop.
Exactly.

And since that card is a 375W card (reference) or 475W card (non reference), I wouldn't try to cool it with that small radiator either. You will need a lot of air going through it to keep that thing cool/better than air temps.

This rad, right? https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Power+Mac+G5+Processor+and+Cooling+Unit+Replacement/1953

Exactly.

And since that card is a 375W card (reference) or 475W card (non reference), I wouldn't try to cool it with that small radiator either. You will need a lot of air going through it to keep that thing cool/better than air temps.

This rad, right? https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Power+Mac+G5+Processor+and+Cooling+Unit+Replacement/1953

Yes and no, that appears to be a power mac g5 dual. Mine is the powermac g5 quad, it looks more like this: http://wp.xin.at/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/powermacg5quad_23_fix_05.jpg (not the tubing though). It has dual pumps and is thicker then the normal dual rad.

However the rad is a dual loop rad surprisingly, so I would have to combine it into one.

OP, you're just better off cleaning the pumps and reusing them with either a 120.3 radiator minimum inside the case or hang one out the back with either this or that on your existing HAF case. You'll just have to supply with either a tube or bay reservoir, fittings and some tubing as I'm not sure exactly what they supply that MAC loop as its possible they could be using aluminum across the boards as that is a huge no-no in PC loops.

OP, you're just better off cleaning the pumps and reusing them with either a 120.3 radiator minimum inside the case or hang one out the back with either this or that on your existing HAF case. You'll just have to supply with either a tube or bay reservoir, fittings and some tubing as I'm not sure exactly what they supply that MAC loop as its possible they could be using aluminum across the boards as that is a huge no-no in PC loops.

Yeah I was starting to figure it wouldnt work :/
The problem is that the HAF 912 isn't really that watercooling friendly. Would you guys recommend one 240mm rad up top, one 120mm at the back and maybe if possible either a 120 or 240mm in the front, while still remaining with harddrive bays?

As for res, could i modify the pump and add a res ontop of it? And should I use one pump or both pumps?

You could easily find very affordable reservoirs that can sit on the pumps but you'd have to purchase a dual pump housing if you want to do this right.

Are you on a budget? If you aren't, you pretty much are going to be building a custom loop with 2 pumps already at hand which will reduce your total cost. Can you take a picture or let us know what kind of DDC pumps those are? MCP-350, 355 or 35x?

Also, I agree that the HAF 912 is not water cooling friendly but did seem to find one picture of someone's build who made it work.

Are you using mechanical HDs or SSDs? If you're using SSDs, you're than able to relocate them elsewhere. Mechanicals, not so unfortunately.

900x900px-LL-1e9be6f0_900x900px-LL-e4480269_IMAG0115.jpeg

You could easily find very affordable reservoirs that can sit on the pumps but you'd have to purchase a dual pump housing if you want to do this right.

Are you on a budget? If you aren't, you pretty much are going to be building a custom loop with 2 pumps already at hand which will reduce your total cost. Can you take a picture or let us know what kind of DDC pumps those are? MCP-350, 355 or 35x?

Also, I agree that the HAF 912 is not water cooling friendly but did seem to find one picture of someone's build who made it work.

Are you using mechanical HDs or SSDs? If you're using SSDs, you're than able to relocate them elsewhere. Mechanicals, not so unfortunately.

View attachment 162763

The pumps are Liang DDC-1T I belive. I might just hold off and get a new case like a 750D and use the pumps and just do everything new. And yeah sadly I only have 3.5" Mechanicals

Back