• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about going from BIG AIR to a custom loop or swiftech h240x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

+sYnc3+

Hey guys, been a while. There is a question that has been bugging me for about a year and Ive finally gotten around to asking you guys. I ve had my build (in sig) for about 2 years now, utilizing my Thermalright Archon to cool my i5_3570k @ 4.5 with 1.28v for about the same time. It loads in Intel burn test 70c and doesnt go passed that. For a while now, ive wanted to jump the big air ship and do either a custom loop or acquire a Swiftech h240x. Do you guys think ill get any noticeable thermal efficiency increase going from the Archon to the Swiftech or a custom loop? I would like to use a 280mm radiator with a pull configuration mounted at the bottom of the case. I can mod the top as well if needed. Thoughts appreciated
JrTZtH9U_6QqfEHBAlo3sGMeJZRIPCiY1yzdVAuEczyOaQPLWu5CiaCKSw87x79CqQPVzG6nVuoXxHNU1hhnnCcsiHdjmUDezLUAjVsG1DisSx0qHORwd8JC65a5-qckhovsyWl1950G5FOSAkT1C_rEY0HCMRYdOG9khgYg-8slR76QyzU7HKjpJMrCrxXGHkCCDeYSScRFLq5EOO2nMQoJ9XeBBuU5cUyWQwVL9degMJzfm3qN5hOyWXb5fFGZ42rbRWcPeqrDiS9V6QtJpXEpV__OT_656wGB_rwBxjFKSgpIm-gREUOBr4i5fQ3jHE3jx3K44xDKDvJioLKSqahEVj7mNBk76rrGbnO5kcgXqcqdX1VlmkUCmnvqk-HqL6TI8cGb0ocgVBdEFtwptat4VUUFiWSUv9182v9rWl7MfLzH9zikP6zxSIXdh4nmO20Af0FgoyHjeE4_2RoyJUbc4FlqB_zlZSqkd6VyQKIwi4T0naxHKgSvbJb17HfmZBULN4177YSRNwsxkrLgpcP-Xuaj4hGuUrblN5gf94n97eHQgXRKjvXwCtMtAS-dakhj=w1450-h1075-no

AF1QipNHow_V37s-Rs3BJ4JY2jFvcv_ji87bTnkcmwU_

Any of the AIO's you list should provide for better cooling according to the reviews I just looked up. Keep in mind I wasn't able to find a single review that compares all the hardware at the same time so this is subjective. However from What I've read both the H100i and H240x will outperform the Archon. Obviously a custom loop will outperform all of the above if done correctly.

So to answer the question, yes you would see better temps going water. Will you get a better OC? Not necessarily. Lowering the temps will help when increasing the volts for stability but as you know there's just no guarantees. There's just to many variables.

The question I have is what's your goal? Just to reduce temps or are you looking to increase OC? Or are you trying to decrease vCore?

Any of the AIO's you list should provide for better cooling according to the reviews I just looked up. Keep in mind I wasn't able to find a single review that compares all the hardware at the same time so this is subjective. However from What I've read both the H100i and H240x will outperform the Archon. Obviously a custom loop will outperform all of the above if done correctly.

So to answer the question, yes you would see better temps going water. Will you get a better OC? Not necessarily. Lowering the temps will help when increasing the volts for stability but as you know there's just no guarantees. There's just to many variables.

The question I have is what's your goal? Just to reduce temps or are you looking to increase OC? Or are you trying to decrease vCore?

Hey mate thanks for the reply, im just trying to lower my max load temp so I can increase my OC possibilities. Im happy with 4.5ghz @1.28v, and essentially want my loads to be around 60c. You think I can do that with a custom loop? IM currently looking at the phobya G 280mm---338x145x60mm, full copper rad with either a swiftech wb or ekwb or xspc with an all in one xspc pump/res 750lph combo. Im not going to add a loop for graphics yet, but id like to leave the possibility open for future expansion . Ive heard people having issues with the h240x, algae in system ..pumps locking up etc, but is cheaper than going with the custom loop, but not by much.

Ya I've read those too. Some pretty recently. That's kinda the advantage with a closed loop but even they will eventually need to be replaced. With a custom loop you can just replace what goes bad (read pump). Have you seen or considered something like Ek's starter kit. They have multiple sizes and are fully expandable. I absolutely love my EK Supremecy Evo. Just some food for thought.

Hey mate, i have checked them out..very nice pieces...my only issue is that I feel in order for me to ditch the Archon, I need a 280mm+x60mm radiator to make it financially justifiable lolol

You dont have to purchase a whole kit all at once. My rigs all went through various stages of change for over a year before they finally got to their complete states. Nice thing about a custom loop is you can reuse it for a long long time if you get universal blocks. Oh and of course you do the proper maintenance on them.

Hey mate, i have checked them out..very nice pieces...my only issue is that I feel in order for me to ditch the Archon, I need a 280mm+x60mm radiator to make it financially justifiable lolol

Why do you feel a 280x60 is the only way to financially justify it? I'm just trying to get into your head as see where that's coming from. A 240x45mm rad will likely give you better temps than what you have. Maybe not the 10c cooler under load you're looking for. Not really sure how to calculate that. SSJ has been at this game way longer than I so maybe he'll have a better insite into that.

You dont have to purchase a whole kit all at once. My rigs all went through various stages of change for over a year before they finally got to their complete states. Nice thing about a custom loop is you can reuse it for a long long time if you get universal blocks. Oh and of course you do the proper maintenance on them.

I bought most of mine through the classies. Just needed a new block and tubing. That may be another option too.

I have been building mine over the last couple of months with nothing but used parts. You'd be surprised at the good deals that are out there. I did buy all new fittings and tubing though.

Back