• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about power phase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I just bought this board off of ebay: Asus P8P67 Deluxe Socket 1155 ATX Motherboard B3 Revision.

Recently bought a used 2500k and had it overclocked to 4.7 on a 4+2 power phase board but with core temps in the mid 80s and the underneath side of the socket quite hot to the touch I wasn't comfortable that the board would hold up long term so I wanted something with a higher power phase rating. The P8P67 deluxe is probably overkill for the 2500k but the prices was good so I went for it.

It has a 16+2 power phase rating with digi power. Until yesterday I had no idea that anyone even manufactured a board with 16+2 power phase. I even was looking at a Gigabyte board that had 20+2 power phase but without digi power so I passed it up.

Is this for real? Just now coming over from the AMD side and we held 8+2 power phase as the place to start looking for boards to be used with the power hungry 8 core FX CPUs. If 8+2 proves to be adequate for the eight core FX line, why would anyone make boards for Intels with 16+2 (or even more) power phase components when the Intel CPUs are supposedly less demanding from a power draw standpoint?

There must be more to it than just power phase rating when evaluating the durability of a board. I get the feeling it's not always comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges.

There's a huge difference between the components used for Intel and AMD VRMs.

There's a huge difference between the components used for Intel and AMD VRMs.

In what sense? Are you saying the AMD power phase components are sturdier phase for phase than the Intel ones?

Last edited:
I think it's just more options for motherboard manufacture's making products that appeal to everyone. like I'm fine with 3+2 phase clocked to 4.8GHz. My digital VRM only gets up to 85c running prime 95 and I only play games so I don't have any problems for the past 3 years. Some times more phases is better for Intel like if your benching or Cryptocurrency, running full load 24/7. however the motherboard manufactures just use it to charge allot more money and vary few people do LN2 ore DICE. For Intel I don't see the less expensive boards fail in the forms, however I do see the AMD low-cost board fail in the forms overclocking.

Motherboard VRM Explanation Part1: The VRM and PWM
Motherboard VRM Explanation Part 2: Digital vs Analog PWM
[SH]Motherboard VRM Explanations Part 3: IR3550 versus other MOSFETs

Last edited:
I think it's just more options for motherboard manufacture's making products that appeal to everyone. like I'm fine with 3+2 phase clocked to 4.8GHz. My digital VRM only gets up to 85c running prime 95 and I only play games so I don't have any problems for the past 3 years. Some times more phases is better for Intel like if your benching or Cryptocurrency, running full load 24/7. however the motherboard manufactures just use it to charge allot more money and vary few people do LN2 ore DICE. For Intel I don't see the less expensive boards fail in the forms, however I do see the AMD low-cost board fail in the forms overclocking.

Chokes look to be about the same size on my AMD board as on my Intel board.

It's not about the Chokes also called inductors, there job is to give continues power to the CPU from the pulsing MOSFET. What's really interesting is your 16+2 power phase is a true 8+2 PWM phase with doubling.

Watch the first video above and see how motherboard manufactures cheat the customers causing more ripple voltage.

Last edited:

Good viewing! Thanks. I don't have an electronics background so I didn't understand all of it but enough to realize that 16+2 power phase ratings are all about marketing hype since it's really only 8+2 in "true" phase terms. I suspected something like this all along. Digital vs. Analog PWM video was also helpful since it explained that the precision of the digital prevents so much voltage overshoot. This should result in a cooler VRM section in overclocking situations. The guy is definitely anti ASRock and pro Gigabyte, however.

The bottom of the board under the socket is hot because the cpu is at 80c. 80c is burning hot to the touch.

Back