• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Sanyo Denki Long Life fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, I definitely want to strap it on a heatsink. :D

Reading the datasheet on my fan (and yours too I presume), if you just don't hook the PWM control wire up it acts just like a regular fan and runs full speed. I plan to make a custom power harness for it, connecting the power wires to 4 pin molex connectors and have separate 3 pin connectors for the sensor wires and just leave the pwm wires disconnected from anything. I am really curious as to how much torque the fans will make when starting this beast up. I know the fans are counter rotating, but I imagine they will impart some kind of twisting moment to the fan at startup.

Now what interesting about the nature of PWM fan is, if you leave the PWM pin floating unconnected, it has pull up resistor internally, so the fan will run as full speed as at 100% pwm duty cycle.

But if you connect that PWM pin to the negative (black pin), that is the same as PWM signal at 0% duty cyle, and it will slow it down to the minimum speed allowed by the manucfacturer while maintain the same torque at the fan. Different fan has different speed at 0% duty cycle, look the the PWM % duty cyle chart at the 0%. (left most)

9CR1212P0G03 PWM duty cycle chart

1222653776_2.gif

From this chart, yours should be at 2700 rpm for inlet fan and 1800 rpm for outlet fan at 0% duty cycle.

1222653776_1.gif

And air flow around 150 cfm (half the max) with 0.4 inch H2O pressure, still beefy imo.

Remember, DO NOT connect that PWM pin to the red or Positive since its 12 Volt, cause the absolute max rating for the PWM pin is at 5 volt (actually its 5.25 volt), a 12 volt will toast it's internal circuit.

About the torque or kick at startup, yeah, it will be interesting to observe, please share with us once you tried it.

I'm really curious with mine too, curious how good the Long Life series compared to the normal one, have to wait my order for the connectors to arrive here around next week. :-/

Last edited:
Oh, man! I've been drooling over that fan for months. I couldn't justify it, so I got the 9G1212P4G03, which is a 120x25mm PWM fan. I'm waiting for a PWM plug, but I tried it on 12v, 5v and a fan controller. It is quite a trooper, and is still a powerful fan at 5v!

I have visions of getting some PVC and a 12v battery and making a battery powered leaf blower with the fan you ordered. I can't think of what else to do with it.

Please post a video on You Tube. Show us what you can blow away with it.

Interesting: the outlet fan has fewer blades, differently shaped blades and a lower RPM from the intake fan.

Sorry, I missed this post yesterday; sat connection was real laggy at times. As for the blade counts and airfoil shapes, that is natural for these compound fans. The Delta GFB series also use totally different rotor designs too, with a 3 blade intake fan and a 7 blade outflow fan turning the opposite rotation. This Denki uses a 9 blade intake fan and a 7 blade outflow fan turning opposite rotation. From my understanding of these compound fans, they do this to avoid resonance issues (and also including the different rotational speeds for the same reasons), just like they do in wind tunnels.

Well, got some good news this evening. The Denki monster has shipped! :D

It should be at the house in a few days, so I can see what I will have to do for power connectors for this monster. :eek:

Congratulation Mudd, take few photoshoot please, really curious how it looks, also the cables and the connector too.

Just in case if you're bored with it, before it goes to classified, PM me 1st will ya ! .. j/k :D

Well, got some good news this evening. The Denki monster has shipped! :D

It should be at the house in a few days, so I can see what I will have to do for power connectors for this monster. :eek:

I would love to see and hear that beast running. Any chance we can talk you into a video of it? I'm curious to see this tested on a radiator too.:p

I would love to see and hear that beast running. Any chance we can talk you into a video of it? I'm curious to see this tested on a radiator too.:p

Hey. You could use it for two radiators, stacked. Why waste airflow?

Hey. You could use it for two radiators, stacked. Why waste airflow?

My radiator has a very high fin density (30 FPI), so it greatly benefits from high pressure, high flow fans. I'm not so sure I want to try to find a fan controller for 3 of these, or even spend nearly $300 on fans for it.:p

Hell, if you want to use them on rads, you can go with the cheap non-pwm version at only $85 each, deadly.:rock::chair:

I can't wait to see how much thrust this fan puts out. I wish I had a way to measure the thrust with it running at full bore.

And I will see about making some vids of it doing some things too. My Canon camera can record 640 x 480 32fps vids, but I will have to figure how to convert them to a more compressed format to put them online somewhere.

Just talked to the wife and my bad-*** big Denki is waiting for me at the house. :D It came in this afternoon and it came bare wire, so I can put whatever connections on it I want.:rock:

Makes me wish this weekend passes fast so I am closer to going home.

Hell, if you want to use them on rads, you can go with the cheap non-pwm version at only $85 each, deadly.:rock::chair:

I found some Delta AFB's for about $11 shipped each. If I went with 3 of those Denki's on the rad, and had wheels on the case, I would probably spend more time chasing my rig around than actually getting any work done from it.:p

Just talked to the wife and my bad-*** big Denki is waiting for me at the house. :D It came in this afternoon and it came bare wire, so I can put whatever connections on it I want.:rock:

Makes me wish this weekend passes fast so I am closer to going home.

Yes !!! Can't wait to see your report there, also interested with that wiring since it has two fans, any plan how you're going to tame it ? Brute force fan controller or thru mobo PWM signal ?

Pics and videos+it's sound please .. ! :attn:

Oot, Wow...your wife did check the fan's cable for you ? Thats really nice, while mine always did that face palm thing whenever she saw I unpacked the new arrived fan. :D

@Deadly - Yeah, the thought of 3 of those on your box scooting it across the floor did cross my mind. :D I could see you making yourself a seat on top of the case and making a new riding toy. :rock:

bing, I'm presently not planning to do anything with the pwm side for the moment, until I can see exactly what I have for hooking this up. I am presently planning to hook each fan up to it's own separate 4 pin molex connector for the power and I plan to put the rpm sensors on 3 pin headers. But I have a question on the pwm portion of this compound fan. Can I hook up both the pwm wires together to make them sense off of the same pwm header? If so, I might rob a pwm 4 pin female plug off of a spare Intel heatsink and hook both pwm wires to that.

bing, I'm presently not planning to do anything with the pwm side for the moment, until I can see exactly what I have for hooking this up. I am presently planning to hook each fan up to it's own separate 4 pin molex connector for the power and I plan to put the rpm sensors on 3 pin headers. But I have a question on the pwm portion of this compound fan. Can I hook up both the pwm wires together to make them sense off of the same pwm header? If so, I might rob a pwm 4 pin female plug off of a spare Intel heatsink and hook both pwm wires to that.

Yes, just hook "BOTH" PWM lines and sort of tie them up together, and then connect to the mobo header at the PWM header. So both will receive the same PWM signal and same exact duty cycle.

For RPM , you will have to split them and connect to two different mobo headers.

For the positive and the negative, both fans are directly hook to molex 12 volt lines.

Becareful when working with these cables, since they are :

1. 8 cables from the fan
  2. 4 pins header at mobo with the PWM & RPM line (brown & white at the PWM) (yellow at the RPM)
  3. 3 pins header at the mobo for the RPM (purple at the RPM)
  4. 1 molex with positive and negative to both pair of fan. (red & orange at positive) (black & gray at negative)

All of these just for a single monster fan. :eek:

Please check..re-check ... then ... check again before powering them up will ya ? :D

About the psu, I have no doubt you must be already prepared with the hunky one, don't you ? :rock:

Last edited:
I just looked at the pdf. I suspect that a simple PWM splitter (free shipping) (or this, also with free shipping) would work, since you would want both fans responding to the same PWM signal. You might have to interrupt one of the RPM sensor lines - you'll have to experiment, I think.

Arctic cooling has fans that allow you to piggyback PWM's. Their method apparently involves not attaching one of the sensor lines to the PWM plug. They supply an offshoot to provide RPM information about the second fan to the MB.

As for wiring the fans to plugs, try this or this. Just snip one end off and solder wires. That's what I did for my PWM San Ace.

I already have the molex parts and the 3 pin header parts, so I am pretty sure I have everything I need to hook everything up. I'm thinking of keeping the fans hooked to separate molex connectors to lower the amps being drawn through just 1 molex connector. I also knew that I would have to separate the rpm sensors too. So I will hook 1 fan to a 4 pin pwm connector with the rpm sense wire and both pwm controller wires, the other rpm sense wire will be on it's own 3 pin fan connector and the 2 fan motors will be on their own 4 pin molex connector.

Yep, thats correct Mudd, also agree, its better to supply each fan from single molex, expecting to see your results soon. :D

I already have the molex parts and the 3 pin header parts, so I am pretty sure I have everything I need to hook everything up. I'm thinking of keeping the fans hooked to separate molex connectors to lower the amps being drawn through just 1 molex connector. I also knew that I would have to separate the rpm sensors too. So I will hook 1 fan to a 4 pin pwm connector with the rpm sense wire and both pwm controller wires, the other rpm sense wire will be on it's own 3 pin fan connector and the 2 fan motors will be on their own 4 pin molex connector.

Should have figured you'd be way ahead of the game.

@deadly - Yeah, the thought of 3 of those on your box scooting it across the floor did cross my mind. :D I could see you making yourself a seat on top of the case and making a new riding toy. :rock:

Who needs an expensive motorcycle when you can just put 3 300 CFM fans on the back of a case?:p These may just be the fans to get if someone wanted to build a hover craft. Can't wait to see the results.:attn:

For the rest of us who are not as tech-loaded as muddie, I found this. But the better price is here. This connector is designed to get power from the Molex, but transmit the PWM signal to 3 fans.

Back