• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Sanyo Denki Long Life fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For the sake of wire management I would just connect 1 RPM sensor wire as both fans should be turning at the same speed.

1 PWM signal wire from mobo header split to all equivalent fans.
1 RPM sensor wire from 1 of those equivalent fans to mobo header.
1 Molex connector per fan for power.

Actually they don't turn the same rpm, Jason. If you look at the chart that bing posted (in post #22), you will see that one fan turns at 3800 and the other turns at 6200 rpm at full speed. :chair: That is a characteristic of these compound fans; the GFB I used to own did much the same thing, but the rpm's between the 2 fans was much closer than this Denki fan.

BTW, I don't think I've seen any other 120 mm sized fan that turns at 6200 rpm, even the Delta TFB or PFB series.

Where did you find those? Sounds like a perfect benching fan!

Yeah, it kind of surprised me that none of you benching folks were using these yet. After all, it is the most powerful fans I know of that will fit a heatsink, smoking even the Delta fans.

I bought it from Newark.com. They still have 6 of the pwm fans like I bought in stock and 9 of the non-pwm versions in stock. The non-pwm version is a bit cheaper at around $85 each instead of $94 like mine. I figure that you all will spend hundreds on ln2 pots and dewars for the extreme cooling so $100 or so isn't too crazy for high end air benching. When I get in from work I plan to shoot some vids of this beast running and put them up for you all to enjoy (or run from). :D I'm also going to slap it on a Q6600 rig on a Cu TRUE and see what the temps do with it too.

Actually they don't turn the same rpm, Jason. If you look at the chart that bing posted (in post #22), you will see that one fan turns at 3800 and the other turns at 6200 rpm at full speed. :chair: That is a characteristic of these compound fans; the GFB I used to own did much the same thing, but the rpm's between the 2 fans was much closer than this Denki fan.

BTW, I don't think I've seen any other 120 mm sized fan that turns at 6200 rpm, even the Delta TFB or PFB series.

My bad. I was thinking of the 2 fans bing was showing. And also my own rig and how I wired everything up. As it turns out a lot of my delta fans don't have an RPM sensor, but something else instead. If plugged into my mobo it won't always POST, or boot correctly. Side-topic: Anyone know of a way to use that wire to sound an alarm if the fan stops? My kid and his friends keep accidentally turning my fan controller knobs. I go into the office to either hear my fans at full-bore, or discover they're completely off. I'd love for an alarm to sound when they start messing with it! Fortunately, my rig still stays pretty cool even with no airflow.

Hmmm...I have to wonder if the friction caused by that much air would actually make the HS fins heat up instead of cool down. Like how the skin of the SR71 Blackbird heats up at speed and the expanding metal seals all the leaking fuel. :rock:

The Arctic Cooling solution looks good to me: the PWM signal goes to two fans, one RPM signal goes to the CPU header and the other RPM signal goes to a System fan header.

Just noticed that mudd missed out on some 400-500 CFM fans on there. Tisk tisk. ;)

I got in from the rig last night and looked at the beast. I am waiting for some sleeving material to come in from Sidewinder to do this fan up properly, but I just couldn't stand it any longer and just did a quick wire twist up to a molex connector to play with this beast this morning. After twisting together the power wires to a molex connector I plugged it to a psu and powered up for the first time. And all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought I had seen powerful fans before but this definitely eclipses anything I've ever messed with. I had it pointing at my wife, who was at least 6-8 feet away and it was blowing her hair around. And the thrust of this thing: it started sliding backwards on my table! I will definitely get some pictures and vid clips of this fan in action for you all to see. This fan is very well balanced and you feel almost no vibration. And start-up is very neutral too, with no real torque reactions to the fan body. This is also a fan that you don't want to run without wire guards on it either, as I bet this could easily cut a finger off. I have wire guards on both sides of it presently. I also did a quick and dirty test to check the amps it pulls and the highest draw I saw with my cheap DMM was around 8 amps. Steady state running yields a 6.31 amp current draw. So that's around 100 watts on start-up and around 75 watts while running.

It also is really damn loud too. I've never heard the 120 x 38 mm Delta TFB or PFB series fans, but I bet they can't hold a candle to this thing. I would guess it's louder than 2 92 mm Vantec Tornado fans.

And deadly, we weren't that far off

Blowing hair at 6-8 feet !!!! Wow !!! I can imagine how powerful it is.

With this kind of power, wonder if shroud could really makes huge difference vs without it at HSF, I guess the blank spot effect at the center hub could be really gone by using the shroud and makes an even strong air stream crossing throughout the whole HSF fins without any dead spot at the middle.

Drolling to see the pic & video of that beast in action Mud.

Your wife must think you are insane with that fan. Mine thought I was the first time I pulled my Panaflo FBA12G12U out of the box, and compared it side by side with the fan it replaced. I tried telling her it was only rated at 45.5 dba.

Now I have 3 Delta AFB1212VHE's rated at somewhere around 130 CFM and 48 db. She hasn't seen them to try to call me crazy yet, but when she does, I will have to show her specs compared to that Denki.

That fan sounds even more like a monster now that it has been fired up, than it did when we were just talking about it. I am actually surprised that it didn't try to flip itself around when it got started. 300 CFM is huge, but the pressure increase over the GFB is even more impressive. I am actually interested to see this thing running at a lower voltage, or with PWM slowing it down. I wonder how the pressure and airflow scales with decreases in fan speed, since we all know it isn't linear. It's too bad the equipment to test that kind of thing is so expensive.

I'll try to play with the fan and the camera this afternoon. I had to swap out the psu in my test rig last night from a VX450 to a HEC Cougar 700 I bought off O_W so I can power this beast in my test setup. Although the Corsair could have probably powered it, I didn't want to chance pushing it to it's max along with that overclocked Q6600 in the test system too.

Mud, have you try grounding both fan's PWM signals to ground (negative) ( 0% duty cycle) to see how it performs at the slowest rpm ?

No I haven't. I mostly played around with it seeing what I could blow around and teasing the cats and birds in the house. The cats don't like it at all, but my daughter's cockatiel loves it and fluffs up in the wind from the fan. :D It will also spin a ceiling fan at enough rpm to make it look like it's on low speed too, just by pointing the wind stream from it at the blades. And you can feel the air from this beast even 20 feet away (6 meters).

bing, I just tried out the pwm circuit by hooking it to ground and sure enough, it brought the fan down to much lower speed. The sound level was noticeably lower as was the cfm, but it still moved quite a bit of air.

That good to hear Mud, the PWM is working perfectly at 0% duty cycle.

Now where are the pics & videos, and most important the HSF results when strapped with this monster. :D

I just got around to installing the beast onto the Cu TRUE this morning. I've been going around shopping for a new dryer with my wife this weekend and earlier today, which ate into my play time. I presently got it hooked up and booted up on the test rig and after the room gets down to the test temps I will make a bench run to compare it to some runs with 2 Denki 1011's that were just on this system. I also, played with the pwm stuff in bios and it definitely controls the fan just like it's supposed to. You could hear it throttling the fans up and down in stages as load and temps increased. BTW, the mounting flange on this beast is almost twice as thick as a more normal 120 mm fan and I couldn't use the fan wires from the Cu TRUE to mount it with. I had to use zip ties to mount with, which works with no major problem.

I have 1 short vid done with me testing the fan inside the case while installed on the Cu TRUE. I was powering it externally, making sure the beast wouldn't pull anything loose inside. This fan has a suction like nothing you have messed with in this size and blows much harder than anything it's size too. And like the Delta GFB, it essentially has no dead spot behind the hub either.

Here's a couple of pics with it installed on the Cu TRUE before I put the mobo back in the case. I will need to convert the video to something a little more net friendly than an avi file before I see about posting it on you tube.

thebeast003a.jpg

thebeast002a.jpg

EDIT: Here's a link to a test vid of the beast in the case:

Last edited:
OK, here's the results of this fan on my Cu TRUE. Before installing this beast on the heatsink, I made an OCCT/Linpack run with the heatsink using 2 Sanyo Denki 1011's in push-pull on the same test system as I have been using for the tim tests and the fan tests I've done earlier.

Here are the results on this system with the 2 1011's in push-pull:

CPU1 max temp - 75 C
CPU2 max temp - 75 C
CPU3 max temp - 70 C
CPU4 max temp - 70 C

This is the results I just got with The Beast mounted in push on the Cu TRUE. This is the same mount as used in the last test, since I didn't have to remove the heatsink to swap out the fans.

CPU1 max temp - 72 C
CPU2 max temp - 72 C
CPU3 max temp - 67 C
CPU4 max temp - 67.75 C

So just substituting this fan in place of the previous push-pull setup dropped temps around 3 degrees C. Of course, the noise difference between The Beast and the push-pull setup is tremendous too and there is no way I could live with this screaming ******* for long time usage. But I could see using this fan while doing benching runs on high end air.

Last edited:
So this is the fan you posted in the other thread. What a beaut of a brute!

Be sure to post some vids of blowing stuff around the house with it!

Wow Mud, thanks for the pics and the video ! :thup:

Looks like this beast is suitable for extreme benching at open rig style or spacious or big case. At that video, looks like the small case area is too tight especially at that fan's intake area, isn't it ?

Performance wise quite impressive, this single beast beats two 1011s :eek:, curious, were that two Sanyo 1011s at their full speed as well ?

Can't wait for the action video on the beast blowing stuffs ! That beast really makes me so jealous. :D

Back