• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Sanyo Denki Long Life fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My mistake, just realized from the pic that beast covered the whole ram area ! :eek:

How's the shared PWM control signal from mobo's header and the RPM reading for both fans, are they working as expected ?

The shared pwm's work just fine. And I have the rpm sensors separated; one with the pwm wires and the other on a separate 3 pin fan plug. The motherboard monitoring in bios actually showed the fans turning a little slower than the rated speeds on the Sanyo Denki site.

The shared pwm's work just fine. And I have the rpm sensors separated; one with the pwm wires and the other on a separate 3 pin fan plug. The motherboard monitoring in bios actually showed the fans turning a little slower than the rated speeds on the Sanyo Denki site.

Hmmm. Falling behind, are you? Heh.

Are they within 10%?

Thread resurrection :chair:

Hey bing, I believe that I have one of these two fans of yours now.. (guess you sold them) I just picked one up in a trade from another user hear from classies.

These Models have the "backwards" characteristic apparently from the testing I've done so far. I used the 12v/ground to molex and rpm/pwm to mobo header method to try this thing out.. and when I set the manual speed control to it's highest setting with mobo software, it turns down to about 2100 rpm. Of course setting it to the lowest threshold produces an RPM of around 4600ish. So, I'm guessing since it's backwards wired is why I cant test 0% duty cycle by connecting the pwm to common ground from PSU??

From the data sheet posted in this thread looks like these do use the 25khz control freq unlike some of those 16khz ones they put out.

well, after some playing around and checking the max voltage for the PWM from data sheet.. I connected the pwm directly to the 5v (borrowing the idea from a reversal you 3 pole switch on a 2-98 controller) rail from molex (which was at 5.0-5.1 checked with a DMM) I can get this thing down to 1900rpm which is a nice bit more tolerable from the 2100 that the header gave me. But It does still have that "whine" sound, coming from the motor, I'm just wondering if playing with the freq for the PWM can get rid of this sound. As it seems a controller wont get me any lower rpm with this fan (unless I can seemingly boost it to it's "max" pwm voltage of 5.25v) ...

Come one man, that fan demands to be run all out! It really isn't that loud once you get used to it.

I never got around to messing with the pwm on it, so I can't help you there. Have fun with her!

Congratulation, and I believe that is a really fine built fan compared to other "cheap" plastic fans you have, don't you agree ? This long life series is the highest grade fan made by Sanyo Denki. :attn:
Btw, that wasn't mine, I love them so much that now I have 3 ! :eek:

Yeah, that fan is using inverted pwm scheme and you need to do a really minor electronic diy to make it normal so can be controlled properly from mobo.

What you need is a to buy an ic called 555, usually it's part number is NE555 or maybe TLC555 at radshack if you live nearby that shop, and its dirt cheap.

Assuming you have a solder, this should be easy to build in less than 30 minutes on a small pcb.

Example pic of this IC
220px-Signetics_NE555N.JPG

Here the connections, and be careful, DO NOT connect by mistake at the molex YELLOW wire, since that is 12 Volt, worry it might toast that really nice fan, only to the RED one as the pic below, while the black cable, either one will do.

IST.png

What this thingy does is to invert the normal signal from the mobo's header pwm pin into inverted state that is understood by this rare breed fan, layman's terms, turning the signal up side down to fan that only understands it up side down, makes it normal, thats all. :D

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the info, I do have solder and slightly noobish skills :D
Since gettting this fan i've spent the last couple of days reading though the entire thread on 4pin pwm controllers.

If I build a 0-100 one with the design for two 555's , didn't I read somewhere that the second 555 causes an inverted signal? so this would work with mine? I'm really interested in more fluid control over the "stair steps" that the mb offers.

Also, since you have these, are you familiar with the "noise" I am referring to? Is there any way to lessen/ get rid of it?

If you're going to build the controller either versions that control this inverted pwm fan "only", then you have nothing worry about the inverted signal, just build it and swap the pot's connections to reverse the dial from low/high (normal) to inverted high/low(inverted), that will solve the problem.

About the whining, really, I don't have that problem and not sure, was that installed at the heatsink ?

No it's not on a heastink. it's at the bottom of my case as a intake to help cool the lower section of it, and mainly the RAM/VRM of my 570 I removed the filter that covered the intake and made a filter out of the entire bottom of the sniper to help with flow, but the grill of the metal frame is still there. Honestly , now that I've been around it for a couple days, it's not that noticeable any more, I've always had a nack for picking up freq of sound that no one else seems to hear, so it's probably just a normal sound that this fan makes. The best way I can really describe what it sounds like is like the sound a cricket makes when they do that constant tone vibrating (chirp) thing.. but not quite as tight of a frequency (slightly more time between pulses??) And it is REAL low honestly, but I can hear it.. at first it bugged me, but I'm not too worried about it now.

I just got a line on some of these exact 9GL1212V1J03 models NEW bare wire on the cheap (quoted me 120$ shipped for 4 of them)

I'm having the guy to double check how many he has for sure, I'd be willing to do a bigger group purchase if anyone is interested. just put'n it out there

Bing, can you tell me the minimum PWM rpm, wich this Sanyo Denki 9GL1212V0J03 is capable?

Bing, can you tell me the minimum PWM rpm, wich this Sanyo Denki 9GL1212V0J03 is capable?

I have found 9GL1212V1J03, but not the 9GL1212V0J03 online.

San Ace catalog does not have that speed fan. Link.

Here's an OCF link that says the fan goes down to 1900 rpm.

And from an eBay seller we get specs:

* Model 9GL1212V1J03
* Height/Width:120mm
* Thickness:38mm
* Rated Voltage:12VDC
* Current Rating:1.9A
* Noise @ 57 dB
* Bearing Type - Dual BB
* Airflow :180.08 CFM

* Speed :4800 RPM
* Static Pressure: .92" H20
*Operating Lifetime:200000h

They seem right, but I can't determine if they are.

Last edited:
@nothor,

As ehume pointed out, minimum speed is about < 2000 rpm, and its not capable of running down to full stop 0 rpm as 9SG1212P1G01 does.

But, if you're interested in very high quality built fan, this Sanyo "Long Life" series is definitely the best breed in sanyo denki's fan families. I believe you're very aware what I mean when you hold one of this metal frame beast like the one you got there 9SG1212P1G01 in your hand, they're just different class/league compared to other "plastic" fan aren't they ? ;)

To give you a clue how to buy this beauty for quite cheap price, the secret keyword is -> 09P5865 :confused:

Still confuse ? Click this HERE, and if you head to ebay with that "secret word" :D , you will be surprise how much they're selling them since it seems like not many people aware of this hidden gem, hope this helps and good luck with your hunt if you're interested with this beauty.

A brand new sanyo "long life" series fan will cost you > $100 a piece, psst.. I already have a bunch of them in my drawer. :chair: lol

Last edited:
Dayum, that is the magic phrase, bing. :eek: Just found 2 listings on ebay for them and both about $25 shipped for 2! :thup:

Might have to do this when I get in from the rig in a day or 2.

nothor, about the inverted PWM...
you can easily short the speed control wire to ground or 5v...

if the fan slow down at the 5v, that it is an inverted PWM fan ;)

Last edited:
Back