• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about the Scythe Slip Stream PWM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just a nickname

I am looking at this model:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?affiliateid=4352418&sku=51155

Nice thing is the PWM, would be quite nice to change my two GT by two of these.
However, I'm wondering if the CFM isn`t a bit pumped as this model:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=30749&vpn=SFF21G&manufacture=Scythe

Looks like it is the same but with lower CFM & noise and no PWM... :shrug:

I was also wondering if it wouldn`t be better to put 3x 140mm fan on my cooler...
I got this one atm on the cooler and it's a nice fan...
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=48771&vpn=SM1425SL12H&manufacture=Scythe

Slipstreams are awful for heatsink fans and are best served as case fans (or in the trash...they're really no good)

Well...muddocktor owns the gt's and the sflexes and says the GT's are better in terms of noise and airflow (i think...jump in and correct me if i'm wrong jim). Not much really stacks up to them in terms of performance, in the 140mm realm the ty-140's are nice as are yate loon 140mm's

Yeah, I got the GT's and S-Flexes and they are both good fans for heatsink use. I find the GT1850 fans (AP-15) to be maybe a little better than the S-Flex SFF21F fans and the GT1450 (AP-14) to be just a smidge worse than that S-Flex in cooling ability. But, the GT fans sound smoother and quieter to me. And like m0r7 said, the Slipstreams aren't a good choice for heatsink use. They have wildly overstated cfm values and they don't seem to have as much static pressure as the GT or S-Flex series fans. They also use a much cheaper (and inferior) bearing package too. They would do OK for case fan use though, if you are looking for cheap fans.

If you are wanting to try the S-Flex "G" fan you linked, let me warn you that they are a bit noisy; much noisier than your GT fans too. But they do cool a little bit better. But if you want to go that route, save some money and buy some Zalman ZM-F3 fans. I was pleasantly surprised at how well these fans perform when I tested it and it also comes with an inline resistor that you can put on to lower fan speed and noise.

Not trying to threadjack but it seemed relevant, how do the big ol 120mm Panaflo High Speeds compare to the offerings from Scythe? Are the Panaflos higher speed/static pressure? As manufactures often fabricate stats/specs I tend to shy away from what the manufactures' claims are.

Not trying to threadjack but it seemed relevant, how do the big ol 120mm Panaflo High Speeds compare to the offerings from Scythe? Are the Panaflos higher speed/static pressure? As manufactures often fabricate stats/specs I tend to shy away from what the manufactures' claims are.

panaflos destroy the slipstreams.

Back