• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Thermal Paste application

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wrathre

Registered
Hey, I recently put together the system in my sig and it seems to be running a little warm via Core Temp, so I'm going to reapp. the thermal paste and the heatsink, does this look like a good amount to apply? Arctic silver 5 of course:

DSC00046.jpg

That seems to be alot of paste. For me, I dropped about 5 degrees by spreading the paste as thin as possible before putting the heatsink on. Just take a straight object, such as a credit card and coat the cpu evenly. You might not want to scrape it all off, but spread it around so there arent gaps when you squeeze it out with the heatsink.

Last edited:
I figured that it was probably too much paste, hence why I took a pic of it from the get go.

That's the correct orientation for a dual core. diddyu's sig indicates he has a quad core, for which that orientation would be wrong according to arctic silver's instructions.

@DIDDY - for our quads it says horizontal application however for dual core AS lists the application for it to be vertical, as posted HERE

I typically use a credit card or metal straightline to apply the AS. That way you have a pretty even application. I'd say go a little lighter on the bead tho.

Sorry, I looked at the processor itself, and not your actual post, and misread SLAPL as SLACR. My post has been edited to avoid any further confusion. Also, Im not as familliar with the regular temps seen by that, so Ill leave this one to the people with more experience with this processor.

Back