• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about upgrade path

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nosifer

Registered
Hey gang,

I have a question about what I should do, as far as upgrading my current desktop system for the holiday game season.

My computer was put together back in late 2008, and the main components are:
ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz LGA 775
2x VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 in Crossfire
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
2x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB in Raid 0
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W power supply

I also have a 1.5 TB Western Digital hard drive and a 64GB OCZ SSD that could be integrated into a rebuild.

I'm mainly concerned with making sure I'm in good shape for Battlefield 3, The Old Republic Online, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and Diablo 3 while keeping it 'bang for buck'

If I'm not looking to spend more than $500 this round, what would be the smartest use of money? Should I keep the guts I have now and just focus on a better graphics card, or would I be better served doing all new mobo, ram, and processor? I don't do any video encoding or real super intensive processor tasks..but I do tinker around with sound design in Ableton occasionally.

Thanks in advance for any insight offered!

For $500, you could upgrade to a Sandybridge platform.

2500K = $215
Motherboard = $150 (not sure which is the best one. Go with at least 2 x SATA3 ports.)
DDR3 = $55 (8Gb)

Back