• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question Concerning z87 Mpower SP EPS 12v Connections and Antec Signature 850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

Ok so Basically I am upgrading my Computer, which currently has a i7-875k and P55-gd80 motherboard with a MSI Mpower SP Z87 motherboard and an I5-4670k. Question is I was looking online at some Pics of the board and just realized that it has 2 EPS 12v connections and my current PSU (Antec Signature 850) only has 1 EPS 12v (8 pin connector) and 1 ATX 12v (4 pin connector)....So should I....?

a. Only use 1 of the EPS 8 pin connectors

b. Use both the 8 pin and the 4 pin connector (assuming I can just put the 4 pin in the secondary 8 pin slot)

I have heard that the connections for these connectors are wired in Parallel on the motherboard side, so not sure if any benefit or need to put the 4 pin connector into the second 8 pin slot...or if it will cause problems?

I am basically upgrading the core parts of my computer which I think will have the biggest impact on gaming performance and extend its life hopefully an additional 3 years, and just want to know the best way to approach the connection of motherboard to PSU since the whole dual 8 pin setup is new to me.

Last edited:
The 1 x 8-pin alone is sufficient.

So basically the 2 (8) pin setup is for extreme overclocking only (Dice, LN2) where a extremely slight variation in voltage stability might cause a failure? But totally unneeded on air or water? I do plan on finding a mild to moderate overclock for gaming purposes most likely.

It's not voltage variation that is the issue but the actual amount of power available to the socket is why it's there. One is fine as redduc said. :)

Back