• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for the Veterans out there

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i'm curious if my 120mm radiator will be able to cool it effectively

Your question is will it cool them effectively. In my opinion, no. Will it cool them. Yes. A lot has to do with what kind of shroud/fans you put on it. If you use a 150cfm Delta that sounds like a freight train, then maybe yes. If you want decent cooling with reasonable noise, then go spend $25 and mod a dual heatercore and make a shroud of some kind for it.

Yes, a dual heatercore can be mounted to a swiftech radbox. I have seen several systems here on OC forums that have done exactly that. There are many different ways to mount a heatercore. I built a shroud box had mine mounted sideways on the back.

IM000097Mount.jpg

I sold this shroud/dual heatercore, but I still have my BIXIII mounted the same way.

You can use two rads, one mounted in the rear and one mounted in front, but that always adds extra tubing and connectors which can make for a mess and can reduce efficiency. It is easier to use one rad in one place.

Look at rig#1 in my sig. I'm running a barton core at 1.75V and 2.4GHz (12x200). Even with the 9700 pro overclocked, I can keep the 100% loaded cpu temp under 50C and folding stable. I also use a coolant mixture of 25% all-metal anti-freeze and 75% distilled water which will make my temps run a bit hotter than people who use less anti-freeze or some other protectant. Another consideration is my rad is an 86 chevette heatercore which is somewhat larger and thicker than your mcr-120, but it won't hold 2 120mm fans either.

I think you'd be fine running the barton at 2.2GHz (3200+ speed) at stock voltage (1.65V) with the 9500 graphics card watercooled. I would expect loaded temps to be no lower than mid-40's, but that's OK. If it's stable and fast enough for you, anything more is just bragging rights. It sounds like you want a "good enough" watercooling setup and what you have should work. Mine is definitely in the good enough catagory.

Last edited:
:attn: woohoo thanks for all the info guys as this is my first setup.. i'm sure i'll mod the crap out of it within 6 months.. and probably go for a dual 120 set-up but for now i just got myself a steal off ebay.. with the business end of the swiftech kit.. (rad, cpu block, res w/pump) for dirt cheap starting out with the main reason i switched.. is that i've wanted to for a while and my poor 9500 needs it.. after gaming.. or running ati-tool.. it's too hot to even touch for a second.. and i really don't want to fry it after it's been such a bad arse lil card for me

Last edited:
When I was running my 9500np @9700pro 370-325. I had an AMD XP heatsink on it before I mounted a swiftech MCW50, temps altho cooler... didn't do squat for clocking.
I guess it was running cool enuff that water didn't make a diff.

Watercooling a 6800 Ultra..... now that baby needs it!

Like said.. during summer, my temps hit low 40s... air-conditioned room now... much cooler.

well i'm not trying to cool the 9500 to make it clock more.. as i've already reached my limit with it.. i just want my rig to stay cooler for longevity reasons :) (ok ok.. and to look cool to :clap: ) also,, where do you get the Blue V-dub coolant at? do you have to go to a dealer for it or is there another brand that is blue?

Last edited:
cool :) i'll check that out.. and also theres a brand out there called PENTOSIN.. that makes antifreeze that's purple and blue as well

Back