• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on adding 6970 2gb to loop w 6990

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

System is below, and I run it clocked between 4.5-4.8. I am considering adding a 6970 to this loop because I am able to obtain it cheap, as in $70 from a friend. I will have to pay for cost of a block to add it to loop. I would like to keep this system another 7mth to year before upgrading. Temps under load sit at around 60-63 running 4.6-4.7

From systems performance I am sure the current system should be able to handle the 6970, I will not be overclocking the gpus too much, only when needed.

Sabertooth Z77
16 GB DDR3 @ 1866
XFX 850 w psu
Switch 810 case w 4x140 Case fans
Blue ray
240 SSD
2 x 640 WD Blacks
1.5 WD green

Swiftech Dual 120 rad w MCP35X pump w 2x GT AP15 120mm fans
Swiftech QP Dual 120 Rad w 2 x Cougar 120mm fans

Thoughts? I know for tri fire I will need to upgrade psu but that can be carried over to next build as well:)

Last edited:
I don't see an issue with it, if your not clocking it to the moon all day I would wonder why.
if your just fussy about noise or just want to water cool it have at.

is there an issue with your psu?

I don't see an issue with it, if your not clocking it to the moon all day I would wonder why.
if your just fussy about noise or just want to water cool it have at.

is there an issue with your psu?

Tri fire plus other components and the overclocking going on is going to require a psu larger than what I have i imagine. Taking into account everything. I will not replace it until I know and yes not clocking to the moon, But if everything else is water cooled and I am adding another gpu makes sense add it to the loop

Depending on your ambient temp I am guessing you're going to be in the 20+ and even maybe 30+ delta-T range. I mean its doable but your temps should increase.

If you think about it, each 120mm rad averages 100w of dissipation. You'll get close to air temps, me thinks.

decided will not go the tri fire route and instead I will grab a 290 today and sell the 6990. less heatoutput and no potential headache as well as tri fire can work considering it is capable of outperforming 3x580gtx in sli which still is great performance

decided will not go the tri fire route and instead I will grab a 290 today and sell the 6990. less heatoutput and no potential headache as well as tri fire can work considering it is capable of outperforming 3x580gtx in sli which still is great performance

:salute:

Back