• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about an x570 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greenhadouken

Registered
Hi all!

I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or general hardware, but I am building my self a new computer. Its going to be primarily a gaming computer, but I'm sure my wife will want to use it for genetic research and experiments. Right now we have an x299 build that we are both using, but she really needs to have it changed over to a Linux based OS. So I will be building myself a 3700x based gaming rig. This is my plan in terms of hardware:

CPU 3700x
MB ASrock x570 extream 4
RAM 32 gb Trident z 3200 (Already own)
GPU RTX 2070 (Already own)
Storage Crucial P1 1tb m.2 (I believe that this is pcie, but if not please correct me)
Case NZXT h500i
PSU EVGA Supernova 650w gold+

This will be the first time that I have used a ASrock MB, and any information/surprises I might find before hand would be nice to know. Also there is very little in the way of reviews of this particular MB, so anyone who owns one would like to share their experience with it would help. I also was wondering what OC on this board was like, and how well it handled it.

I'm pretty sure that 650w PSU would be enough to run the system, but will be enough if I OC both the GPU and the CPU? I know that the 3700x only has a 65w TDP, but I thought I read some ware that it starts to be power hungry once you start OC it. If I'm wrong please correct me.

I do plan on getting a pcie 4.0 storage device at some point, just not right off at the start. I do also plan on using the stock cooler until I can afford to put together another costume water loop.

X570 motherboards just came out so not much around, yes.

That board should handle your cpu without issue....these cpus dont really overclock much at all.

650W is plenty for stock and overclocking the proposed system.

Your crucial p1 drive appears to be SATA, not nvme.

Thanks for the reply. I figured I have some time to get a little more information given that the availability on the processor is almost nonexistent.

That is indeed the drive! Thanks. That updated case looks great, I think I will indeed get that one.

Crucial P1 is NVMe, and it performs pretty good in random operations (out of synthetic bandwidth tests), but its max bandwidth is about 2GB/s.

I'm testing the Extreme4, and so far there are no problems. There were 5 BIOS releases in last month, and ASRock is still tuning the board.

The 3700X in a typical scenario uses up to 80W. Under high load will be more like 120-140W. Good 650W PSU is more than enough. I guess that recommended for this specs is 550W but better to have some more.

I also recommend better cooler than the one which comes with the CPU. I was testing my 3700X on the stock cooler and it reached nearly 95°C under load. The cooler is quiet and looks nice but its performance is clearly limited.

Crucial P1 is NVMe, and it performs pretty good in random operations (out of synthetic bandwidth tests), but its max bandwidth is about 2GB/s.

I'm testing the Extreme4, and so far there are no problems. There were 5 BIOS releases in last month, and ASRock is still tuning the board.

The 3700X in a typical scenario uses up to 80W. Under high load will be more like 120-140W. Good 650W PSU is more than enough. I guess that recommended for this specs is 550W but better to have some more.

I also recommend better cooler than the one which comes with the CPU. I was testing my 3700X on the stock cooler and it reached nearly 95°C under load. The cooler is quiet and looks nice but its performance is clearly limited.

I'm glade someone with an extream4 saw this tread. I never had a ASrock board before, and I wanted to hear about them from someone that has one. That is pretty hot for a CPU to get at max load. I was planning on getting a 2k gaming monitor a short time after putting this build together, but maybe I'll put together the costume water loop sooner rather than later instead. I was reading that M.2 armor was a bit tricky to deal with, how was it for you?

I guess there are different model p1's? This one has sata speeds....https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-p1

Edit: I stopped reading after I saw 565 MBs, lol, its nvme. :)

That PCMark result is something what hits the eyes first on their website ;) On the other hand, 565MB/s in PCMark is about as much as most highest NVMe SSD can make and that's why I said that popular synthetic benchmarks are misleading if we look at the performance of this SSD. Still not the fastest but performance is better than expected.

I'm glade someone with an extream4 saw this tread. I never had a ASrock board before, and I wanted to hear about them from someone that has one. That is pretty hot for a CPU to get at max load. I was planning on getting a 2k gaming monitor a short time after putting this build together, but maybe I'll put together the costume water loop sooner rather than later instead. I was reading that M.2 armor was a bit tricky to deal with, how was it for you?

There are comments around the web that chipsets are overheating. Well, they run hot but I haven't seen any overheating. Chipset has about 65°C in BIOS. During work goes up to high 70 but it's max I've seen. In the same time chipset heatsink is shared with M.2 and some series are getting hot. Additionally large graphics cards may block airflow around that chipset-M.2 heatsink. I guess that some users with limited airflow can have problems with temps but I doubt it will cause any serious overheating.
The same was on Gigabyte and I guess these two brands are not separated. On Gigabyte I had to set fan profile to silent or the fan was noisy. Fan profile for chipset was introduced in 3rd BIOS release after multiple bad comments in the web. On the Extreme4 fan is spinning up to 4k RPM but it's not really noisy even at full speed. It usually goes to half speed and I can hear other things more (my motherboard is on the desk next to me so it's easy to hear what is causing any noise).

Last edited:
Back