• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about case fan speed controllers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carl_lazlo

I have a project using 6 120mm Aero shark fans to cool my Krell amp.(It gets to about 150f after running for a few hours.) I have all the woodworking taken care of, but I am looking for a way to adjust the speed of these fans so I can lower their volume if I want too.

So here is where my questions lies; how do these fan controllers work? Do they just lower the voltage to the fans? i.e. sends them 9v instead of 12v so they now run slower, or is another method used? The power supple I have to the fans is variable so I could send 12/9/6/5/2 volts to the fans if that would work for slowing them down as long an running them in under voltage will not damage them.

Also, can anyone recommend a nice stand aloe controller that will control these 6 fans. Remember, none of the parts are in a computer case.

Thanks much

Carl

Last edited:
So here is where my questions lies; how do these fan controllers work? Do they just lower the voltage to the fans? i.e. sends them 9v instead of 12v so they now run slower, or is another method used? The power supple I have to the fans is variable so I could send 12/9/6/5/2 volts to the fans if that would work for slowing them down as long an running them in under voltage will not damage them.

yes, for the majotity of the fan...
the controllers are usually send lower voltage to the fans.
I used to have an amp with 12v fan, and run the fan on 6v (it's quiet enough)...

since you have a variable power supply to your fan, you can alter your voltage to your fan and see wich one is good to your preference, but I don't think 2v will be enough to spin your fan (5v is my best bet for the start).

And be carefull, your fans must spin when you applied voltage on them, otherwise the internal circuit of our fans might be fried up:(

this undervolting method is applicable for those 2, 3, and even 4 wired fans

the other method to control the fan speed is by sending PWM signal,
this method is only applicable on 4 wire fans only.
As for this type of controlling, I believe most of us are building the controller by ourself. Just like on this thread -> here

Also, can anyone recommend a nice stand aloe controller that will control these 6 fans. Remember, none of the parts are in a computer case.

Thanks much

Carl

as for this question,
I should leave this to the others...
but IMO, you can use any CPU fan controller and power them up from your 12v suppy converted with molex connector

hope this post will be useful for you....
cheers :)

Thanks much

Carl
Ask and ye shall find....

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/fan_control/sentry_lxe
IMG_7392_800x600.jpg

Only controls 5 though. :(

For 6-fan control, your options are more limited, there are a few, but nothing so fancy....
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/fan_control/sentry_mix
1372.jpg

IMG_7392_800x600.jpg

I was looking into this controller, but it interfaces with a computer via a PCI slot. (Which of cource I do not have in this situation) Anyone know something similar that can run stand alone?

It does not have to control all 6 fans separately sine they are all grouped together to cool the amp. I was planning on wiring them together in Parallel anyway.

Thx everyone

IMG_7392_800x600.jpg

I was looking into this controller, but it interfaces with a computer via a PCI slot. (Which of cource I do not have in this situation) Anyone know something similar that can run stand alone?

It does not have to control all 6 fans separately sine they are all grouped together to cool the amp. I was planning on wiring them together in Parallel anyway.

Thx everyone

i dont think that controller interface's wiht the computer via a PCI slot.. if you look at the pictures it dosent have any pins.. it just takes up a slot to have someting to mount the card to.. you could throw the card inside your computer and i think that controller would still work, as long as the connector between the faceplace and the card will reach

DSC_0410_.jpg

Back