• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about the 2.8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turbage

Registered
Alright people, I have been browsing the forums for a bit, and I wanted to say that it has helped me make a few decisions which have saved me a lot of money.

Anyways, I am planning on constructing a PC in the very near future, solely for gaming.

This are what I expect on buying:

Mobo: Abit IC7-Max3 Intel 875P link

CPU: P4 2.8C link

RAM: CORSAIR XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack)184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 link

Alright, bascially I want to know if that is my best bet in overclocking terms.

I chose the 2.8 specifically so I can get over 3.2 preformance, but for less than the cost of a 3.0 proc. However, I have read somethings about RAM ratios. I can't find any information about the ratios of that particular product. I want to be able to overclock this sucker to something near 3.5, that is my goal. I was originally thinking about going to 3.8, but I think it might run too hot.

So if you can just tell me if that RAM is going to keep up with my prospective CPU, and if not refer me to a product that will. Please keep in mind that I do have a budget, all though it is flexable, and not yet set in stone. Somethings I won't do are buy a 3.4EE, or an AMD FX-53, for the obvious monetary reasons.

If you guys need me to post additional information about my purchase, I would be more than glad to, if you can help me (a nub) out.

Thanks again.

-Turbage

I wouldn't buy that RAM. Corsair isn't regarded as the best anymore. Mushkin is good, but deathly expensive. Basically you want a stick of RAM that has BH-5 chips on it, that will get you the best OC.

Intel systems work well with the 5:4 CPU:RAM ratio. So the RAM will be a little slower than the CPU, but tha'ts what works the best.

Look for some PC3500. Since your OCing, you might as well just get a 2.4C and save some money(not sure how much) and just OC to around 3.4ghz(around average OC) you'll get a higher FSB than with the 2.8C thus better performance.

Make sure to get some fair cooling(ThermalRight) if your trying to get a nice OC.

And of course...

Welcome To The Forums. :)

I think that the 3.0 is a waste if you love overclocking. Its more expensive, and you can't get as high of a FSB as with a 2.4C in most cases.

I'd just go with the 2.4C. You can get it to 3ghz easily.

My 2.8c peaks at exactly 3.31 @ 236. I've tried everything in the book and that's as high as she'll go P95 stable. From what I've read that's abotu average for the 2.8's on air. I've got it to boot and run at 3.5 but she crashed once and corrupted the boot file...eecchh! So now I keep it P95 stable (and a separate backup disk).
I'd also look for different ram, perferably the BH-5's.
And welcome to the Forums!

I'll save you a little more cash. Instead of the IC7 Max 3, get either the IC7-G if you want the Gigabit LAN or the AI7 if you can live with a regular 100/10 LAN.

Can't go wrong with Corsair XMS, Kingston HyperX or Mushkin. With the 2.8C and using the 5:4 ratio, then PC3200 will be fine. Your goal of 3.5 gig is 250 FSB with the 2.8C, so the 5:4 ratio means your PC3200 is right at DDR400... which is perfect. Most RAM will overclock a little, so you have a little head room in case you get lucky and find an exceptional CPU.

For 3.4 to 3.5 gig overclock, you'll need decent cooling, so with the cash I saved you on the motherboard, get a good CPU cooler and a couple extra case fans.

Back