• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick help for 3500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Softgod

Disabled
3500+: ADA3500DEP4AS 1.5V (SH7 CG rev, F7Ah) <- "ClawHammer 939", 512 KB L2, 2.4 GHz x11, 89 W ** (512 KB L2 "disabled")

Is it possible to enable the extra cache? If so I think I would like that over the Whinny or should I just get the Whinny. A client of mine is coming over for me to do some work and he is buying me a chip for my time. The place has this chip and two Whinchesters. I have about a half hour to let the store know.

Thanks in Advance.

If you can, wait for venice. get a preorder, anyway. if not, go with the clawhammer. even though you can't enable the extra cache (AFAIK), it'll perform and OC better than a winnie.

And its "winnie" as in "winchester", not "whinny" as in the sound that a horse makes ;)

Softgod said:
3500+: ADA3500DEP4AS 1.5V (SH7 CG rev, F7Ah) <- "ClawHammer 939", 512 KB L2, 2.4 GHz x11, 89 W ** (512 KB L2 "disabled")

Is it possible to enable the extra cache? If so I think I would like that over the Whinny or should I just get the Whinny. A client of mine is coming over for me to do some work and he is buying me a chip for my time. The place has this chip and two Whinchesters. I have about a half hour to let the store know.

Thanks in Advance.

Mate,

The current crop of "Whinnys" :D are not very good clockers. The Claws on the other hand offer a bit more for your money in terms of stability when overclocked. A very good choice currently :thup:

I just found alot of info about them. I use to have a URL in my sig but was told to remove it so I am not sure if I can post the thread where I found the information at.

Here is a quote that I found that is quite intresting.

http://www.c627627.com/AMD/Athlon64/

Looking at this chart the blue CPU's are Claws.

All the Claws before the 3500+ 512kb parts were all 2.4-2.6 1mb cache parts.

Seeing the data in the chart seems to make it clear that 3500+ cpus are

a. old stock steppings that did not sell as well as they should have

b. binned and/or failed 1mb cache parts that were cut back to 512kb cache

c. AMD made way to many of that stepping and need to make some money off of them. They are still getting $200+ each for them, not to bad if you have 20,000-30,000 parts to sell.

FYI, although it isn't listed, there are claws all the way down to 3000+. Its assumed that they are "not up to par" FX procs, so they are relabeled.

Wow, just noticed that there are plans to carry the FX series all the way to 61...cool.

Back