• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick paint question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fx-53

the link in the sticky is down so ill ask my question and be done with it.....

Im intending to pull everything back apart to finish fabrication on the W/C system and to repaint(staying black, just going gloss and painting the interior).

question: What to paint the inside with? i remember years ago hearing people talk about spray paint being bad on the interior of cases, but i haven played the old "mod a case" game in so long im not shure that information wasnt in error then or now. I had planned on using basic spray on car paint-in-a-can...

back to studying for my anthropology test....its gonna be a long night :D

the only problem i could think of is if you use a paint with metal specs in it, could be bad.

other than that i cant think of any othe reason

No problems, it comes out looking awsome!!
DOOOOO IIITTTTT!!!!

But for the love of god - make the inside and outside the same paint color / scheme. If you dont its like not color matching your car's engine bay, and ppl are gona laugh at you for being takey like that.

Actually some old hotrods look way better with a blacked out engine compartment...same with cases. It's all in the color choices and application. The only possible downside of painting the interior is if the paint you use is conductive and causes a short(of course if it is unpainted the metal is conductive and would cause a short...doh!). If the case has plastic parts(which a lot of cases do) then you could have reactions between the paint solvents and those parts. Test hidden areas to determine compatability before you paint the whole thing. Some paints won't cure correctly if they are painted onto certain plastics. As with all such things, planning and patience are critical.

No im going to use fusion to paint the plastic stuff.....

Case is going to be all gloss black(thanks to the old boy doing the "blacker stacker" for confirming that it would look good :), ive wanted to see it done that way for a long time) wiht blue ccfl's and a blue (u/v i think) acrylic window.

BTW, i HATE color matched engine bays on a highboy, all black engine bay and whatever outside :p

In case you haven't used the Krylon Fusion plastic paint yet, there is a better way to paint plastic. This product is more like a dye than a paint. whereas Fusion is like wet dog-****, painting pooter plastic parts with this stuff is like putting lighter fluid on kleenex; it doesn't bond, it sinks in, won't flake. Here, in Toronto, ON, Canada I get it at NAPA auto parts. It is twice or three times the price of a normal spray can. It is marketted for auto interiors in lots of colours like a blood red. It is called Plasti-kote Vinyl Color (Valspar). It even masks well.

for USA,
http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote/auto/template.jsp?searchcode=RES&product=UltraVinyl

Last edited:
Wash the case inside and out keeping any stray wires wrapped up. Then use a gray Scotchbrite pad from an autobody supply shop to scuff the whole thing. Buy disposible rubber gloves and wear them thru the whole process. scuff it till the shiny is gone and use a Wax and Grease Remover to clean it again. After its dry and clean use a adhesion promoter that works with whatever paint you use. All bare metal should always be primered first. Use the primer from the same company as the paint to keep it from peeling. Read the instructions and follow them, if you rush to get it done you may end up starting again.

The reason to wear gloves after using the W & G remover is to keep the oils from your skin from seeping into the surface and causing lifting.

Fx-53 said:
No im going to use fusion to paint the plastic stuff.....

Case is going to be all gloss black(thanks to the old boy doing the "blacker stacker" for confirming that it would look good :), ive wanted to see it done that way for a long time) wiht blue ccfl's and a blue (u/v i think) acrylic window.

BTW, i HATE color matched engine bays on a highboy, all black engine bay and whatever outside :p
"OLD BOY", ....Why you little wipper snapper! If my wheelchair was faster I could catch you and smack you in the shin with my cane!:p ;) J/K :beer:

I used the Fusion on mine and had no problems with the plastic parts.
For the metal I used Ace Epoxy Enamel, the only down side to that paint is the cure time, min 24 hours.
The devil is in the details, prep work is what will make or break a good finish.
And dont forget the smoother your primer the better your finish.

Back