• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question... CM 212 EVO w/Xeons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So, Newegg sent me a coupon for 15% off CPU coolers, which would make my $60 total CM 212 Evo's be $50.98... so I've decided to jump on em...

But I noticed a discrepancy...

If you look...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

under "Details"

I see...

CPU Socket:
Intel Socket LGA 2011/1366/1155
AMD Socket FM1/FM2/AM3+

1366 are my Xeon E5620s for my SR-2. That checks out...

then just below it...

CPU Support:
Intel: Core i7 Extreme / Core i7 / Core i5 / Core i3 / Core2 Extreme / Core2 Quad / Core2 Duo / Pentium / Celeron
AMD: FX-Series / A-Series / Phenom II X4 / Phenom II X3 / Phenom II X2 / Phenom X4 / Phenom X3 / Athlon II X4 / Athlon II X3 / Athlon II X2 / Athlon X2 / Athlon / Sempron

No mention of Xeon... You think this is just an oversight? I really don't want to do any modding or anything, I'm already shaky enough around computer parts -_-

Thanks.

It seems like an oversight to me. Listing supported tech generations is just marketing as the cooler doesn't do anything differently.

I would only recommend ensuring that you have enough space between the sockets so that the coolers don't run into each other. I'm not familiar with your board layout, so look into that before you buy em.

Figured as such, thx, btw, i heard you can alleviate much of the motherboards stress from a heavy cooler by using picture wire from the heatsink to the top of the case? I think i could do that in the cosmos II... So i could get a better, heavier air cooler and not have to worry about warping... Hellooo thermalright silver arrows =P

That makes sense, especially with two tower coolers installed. Make sure you balance it properly, however, so you aren't just putting as much strain in the upward direction as gravity would have applied downward ;)

Yeah XD, the heavy coolers would be bending it down so i would have to apply equal force up. Ugh, back to the NH-D14's i guess now...

All of this part switching and research is startin to give me a migraine

Or penniless -_-

Btw, best way to install processors and cpu coolers... With the case lying on its side and not standing up?

On its side will definitely be easier and probably just a better idea in general. Things will seat more naturally and you won't have to hold up the cooler as you screw it in.

Okay thats wha i thought, it was certainly true with the mobo installation -_-

Last questions... I promise...

Does one need to acess the back of the mobo directly behind the cpu for anything? The reason i ask is because there's a hole for one processor in the case but not the other, wondering if i need to screw the coolers in from the back or if anything is needed in the back?

If so then i have a lot more work to do than once expected :L

Last edited:
Most aftermarket coolers do have mounting hardware that needs to be installed on the backside of the mobo. Not sure if the 212s have it or not.

Do you mean there are no holes for screws around one of the CPU sockets on the board?

Damn, i see.

No, i mean that the Cosmos II case i have my Sr-2 in wasnt designed for two processors therefore doesnt have holes in which to acess the back of the mobo on one of the processors. No matter, ill take it out and install it that way

Oh gotcha. Yea removing motherboards can be a pain. Don't rush it, though. Ground out any static electricity in your fingers and make sure you don't set any of the solder points down on anything hard. Good luck

Yeah, i have an anti static wrist band, what are solder points though? :L

Oh cool never thought about something like that. All the silver metal spots on the back of the board. Most of them come to a point and can get chipped/weakened if they are set on something else hard (side of your case). I usually try and set the board on styrofoam or something soft if I need to set it down like it's out of the case.

It'll be fine, though. I'm just always paranoid when I take out parts or put new ones in.

Yeah the wrist band came with a Rosewill toolset i bought on newegg it kinda gets in the way though you have this long lanyard type of thing u have to hook to the metal part of the case. Ill look for the silver spots tbh i dont remember seeing any silver. I still have the anti static bag the mobo came in so ill prolly set it on that... Hmm... And look to see if i missed any screw holes, mobo only uses 8 on the CM cosmos ii

EDIT: And here we go again, after searching the EVGA forum, it is seen that more than just 1 person have said that two NH-D14s cause bending and issues, don't want that to happen, so ill just stick with the EVOs and add the two extra fans like I was originally planning. This should work nicely.

Ugh, back and forth, back and forth. Finally fired on the EVOs, just had to get it over with.

Last edited:
Back