• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quickie retail CPU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monstermile

I have a 1700+ retail on the way. I got the retail because of the warranty. Reading through some other posts I see that the retail hs is no good for any overclocking. So my question is if I don't use the hs that comes with it will that void the waranty?? And how could it be proven the the stock one was not used.

And a suggestion for another hs too.

Thanks

It will void the warranty. It is clearly stated by AMD that if you use a non AMD heatsink (read: stock heatsink) it will void the 3 year warranty.

It can not really be proved, unless you chip the core with it. However, you should not send anything back that you have destroyed.

You o/c and use different heatsinks on your own risk. If you screw up, then you are the one who should pay for it. Not the rest of us who has to pay more money for the CPUs we buy in order to cover the costs when some sends back a CPU they have destroyed.

Thanks for the input but I wasn't asking because I intended on using the warranty if I f'ed it up.

That being said can I use thermal paste in place of the patch that comes on it?? If so how do I get that off??

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Straight from my warranty booklet on a Duron 1200. The only way I can think they could prove it wasn't the stock hsf is if you don't use that pink goo that comes on the bottom of the stock hs, cuz that stuff is near impossible to get off.

Edit: It's only hard to get off after you have used it on the CPU, it scrapes off the hs with a razor quite easily.

the pad came off my cpu quite nicely, some Goof Off and some rubbing alcohol does wonders

Most of the time AMD will still RMA a retail CPU when not using the factory HS. Just as long as you can prove you used a HS that is rated for that CPU. I have RMAed a few retail CPUs without using the factory HS, even returned the HS's with the tape still installed. All I had to do was send a picture of the HS I was using and the original copy of the invoice and state what type of thermal paste I was using. So far I have had no problems RMAing them like this.

Back