• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet Win10 sound in new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

My new rig is in the sig. Yes, I looked for solutions online and did what they suggested but no luck and I need some more info anyway. My new system is VERY low volume, even at 100% volume, and 100% in Media Player Classic it's just enough to enjoy a movie, and I have it plugged into an amp.

On my old AM3 system I also had Realtek and it was really good, very loud, with RT HD Audio Manager. It was so loud and clear I never had to put the overall system volume above 50% and even with that, inside media players only 20% for comfort and up to 50% for very loud. 100/100% was still clear but it sounded like listening to a CD on my system, in other words, perfect.

I have a audio system that is plugged into the computer at the back,like before. But with the new build, everything is quiet. I have my system at 24 of 30 now (before I always kept it at 18 volume and it was loud already).

Under device manager I see AMD High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio, both of which are updated to the latest drivers (2019/07).

I uninstalled both completely and deleted the drivers, then re-installed the Asus Realtek latest driver, and both of those device manager entries came back, but everything is the same.

I do not see the HD Audio Manager anywhere, not in control panel, not when I click on volume control, it looks like just your regular windows 10 driver.

I don't know if that would fix it, but I can't find where to download the Realtek driver itself, not on Asus or AMD, but Realtek, with HD Audio Manager with it.

Also, on my old system I only had Realtek, but was able to use Dolby Plus, this audio manager that I could control volume but also voice and EQ and all kinds of things, that thing was awesome, but I can't find that anywhere either (and no, I never did have dolby, it was not needed).

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Win10 eh. Sounds like it's not playing nice with your hardware considering it uses very low level hardware api's just to get low latency. Either that or win10 still has teething problems no doubt. These 'core audio api's' started in vista, were improved in 7 and renamed to 'media foundation'. God knows what the hell MS did with them in 10. I'd check all your services, startups, and tasks and hope for the best. I have no idea how to get to them in 10.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/coreaudio/about-the-windows-core-audio-apis
Not much help there. MS likes to point everything at the 'troubleshooter' which is as bad as system restore.
Nice setup btw! I configured my sub and speakers just the other day and I have hearing problems lol. A5's are nice but I should have got the LSR-308's instead imo. With the A5's I have my TV on rca out and the pc straight to digital to dac. With the JBL's I'd of had to have bought a preamp or other to hook both up.

Last edited:
Plugged 8nto the back.....how? 3.5mm? SPDIF? Are you sure everything is plugged in securely.

It could just be that this board doesn't have as much oomph as the old one. I don't know what the differences between the ALC1220 and the S1220 are. Some higher end motherboards have a discrete DAC as well as a discrete headphone amp (which you may have inadvertently been using - some use front panel, others rear I/O), while more budget oriented boards will skip these features. I know it's sad to think of +$200 as "budget oriented" but such is the state of things with x570. It appears the A designation of the S1220A indicates the lack of a discrete DAC and headphone amp.

No way I'm going with that explanation, if my Gigabyte UD3 pounded, so should this one. I think it's simply a driver issue, I can't seem to find a realtek driver that comes with ANY software, I'm missing the HD audio manager, and of course no Dolby. I'll try older drivers and see.

I have changed nothing except my PC, the audio input is the same, the stereo is the same (200W RMS to boot, and I have to have it set almost full to really kick it, and it's much quieter than listening to the radio at the same volume for example, whereas before it was the same on the AM3 platform with realtek).

What kind of speakers can one get with the optical output,I cant find any examples.

Last edited:
A quick update. I found a 2016 Realtek HD Audio Manager driver with the HD software, and completely uninstalled the new one from Asus site, then installed the driver. Instantly, when restarting, I heard the windows sound was twice as loud, full of life and volume, fullness. Checked it out, everything is perfect now, but man that is annoying, most people will think something is wrong with their hardware, but indeed there is nothing wrong, the sound quality is amazing, I put my stereo back to 66% and leave it there, and I hardly ever have to put my windows volume above 50%.

Be prepared to have to roll back the driver at some point when Windows does an update and kicks out the one that works.

Yeah, Windows 10 is horrible for that, or MS products in general, I'm keeping it in a special folder, I'll be updating whenever I have to. Even Windows Defender, it takes a damn hack to turn that off, ridiculous.

Back