• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290 waterblocks on R9 390 cards. Will it work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thick8

I have 290 cards but want to switch to 390 cards. I need the 8Gb of video memory that the 390 cards have. I contacted XFX and they said that the PCB is the same but that there are some additional components on the board. Has anyone tried mounting a reference 290 WB on the 390 board yet?
Thanks.
John

Most of the major block manufacturers keep lists as to what cards are known to be compatible with their specific blocks. (I've probably looked at them all). Why not check with them?

Incidentally, just because someone has successfully swapped out a block from a 290 to 390 on their rig does not mean it will work for you. Different card revision can greatly impact upon compatibility. You need to check yourself. ;)

If necessary, contact the block manufacturer by email or (my preference) by phone.

Most of the major block manufacturers keep lists as to what cards are known to be compatible with their specific blocks. (I've probably looked at them all). Why not check with them?

Incidentally, just because someone has successfully swapped out a block from a 290 to 390 on their rig does not mean it will work for you. Different card revision can greatly impact upon compatibility. You need to check yourself. ;)

If necessary, contact the block manufacturer by email or (my preference) by phone.

I dropped a note to Aquacomputer last night. They're in Germany, I'm in South Carolina. Could be an expensive call. I may just go ahead and get one card from Amazon to try it out. If it doesn't work I can send it back to them. As I use premium TIM and pads it will probably go back better than I received it.

Well, it all depends on the WB you're referring too to better know if they are compatible and what exact model GPU and WB.

You need to quote the card model number (and revision if applicable) to ensure everyone is on the same page. I looked at your sig before replying earlier to see if this info was there.

Last edited:
You also need to confirm which block you are using (which model)

For example the Aquacomputer kryographics Hawaii for Radeon R9 290X and 290 acrylic glass edition is only for reference 290 & 290X boards (part #23580)

Combined GPU/RAM/VRM-cooler for graphics cards of the type Radeon R9 290X and 290 with 4GB RAM according to reference design.

Aquacomputer kryographics Hawaii.jpg

Last edited:
You need to quote the card model number (and revision if applicable) to ensure everyone is on the same page. I looked at your sig before replying earlier to see if this info was there.

You also need to confirm which block you are using (which model)

For example the Aquacomputer kryographics Hawaii for Radeon R9 290X and 290 acrylic glass edition is only for reference 290 & 290X boards (part #23580)

View attachment 168924

+1 :thup:

OP, there are deferent model numbers and revisions. Need to know exactly which GPU and WB they are.

They are both reference design. Neither XFX nor Aqucomputer make anything other than reference design for the 290/290X. I researched compatibility rather extensively prior to purchasing my current setup.
Kevin from XFX wrote " Hi John, the pcb is the same but there have been some components added to the 390 so although it’s possible the waterblock might fit, we have not actually tested it here."
I was hoping someone else had already made the plunge. Guess I have to be the guinea pig.

I hate when they still call a PCB a reference design when they've done a few changes to it whether they be minor or major. To me its not a reference design anymore but some will still end up calling it "Revision". Got to keep an eye on those as quite a few have been caught by that so you're not alone Thick.

They are both reference design. Neither XFX nor Aqucomputer make anything other than reference design for the 290/290X. I researched compatibility rather extensively prior to purchasing my current setup.
Kevin from XFX wrote " Hi John, the pcb is the same but there have been some components added to the 390 so although it’s possible the waterblock might fit, we have not actually tested it here."
I was hoping someone else had already made the plunge. Guess I have to be the guinea pig.
Hey. Why not post a thread on a few forums asking if something like: " Has anyone tried the Aquacomputer block model XXXXXXX with an R9 390 XFX model #"? You never know, someone else may have been the first little guinea pig!

I would say posting the question on the Aquacomputer forums (if they have one) and XFXs too is a must. And maybe put the question up on hardforums, anandtech, overclock.net and whoever-else too. That way, if the guinea pig exists somewhere, you have a reasonable chance of finding them. Cast the net out far and wide and see what you catch!

I hate when they still call a PCB a reference design when they've done a few changes to it whether they be minor or major. To me its not a reference design anymore but some will still end up calling it "Revision". Got to keep an eye on those as quite a few have been caught by that so you're not alone Thick.
I actually got someone on hardforum to physically measure up the pcb for me with the cooler removed for my card. They took some lovely photos for me lol. It was the only I could confirm whether the card might fit with certain blocks and also whether there was room to place the res in my preferred location. And I agree, it's only a reference design if it is the exact same configuration as set out by AMD or NVidia.

I actually got someone on hardforum to physically measure up the pcb for me with the cooler removed for my card. They took some lovely photos for me lol. It was the only I could confirm whether the card might fit with certain blocks and also whether there was room to place the res in my preferred location. And I agree, it's only a reference design if it is the exact same configuration as set out by AMD or NVidia.

If you're ever in need of a image of a PCB design, check out EK's coolingconfigurator. Same goes for the OP.

If you're ever in need of a image of a PCB design, check out EK's coolingconfigurator. Same goes for the OP.

Great link. THANKS! It would seem that the EK 290 reference block fits only the 390 cards without the new inductors. One could extrapolate that the same should be true of the Aquacomputer blocks. Now I just have to find out how to determine if the cards I'm going to buy have the new inductors. The PCB # seems to be the same. Time to go do some more research.
John

EDIT: EK must have bought the new type card with the intention of returning it as the golden fingers cover is still on; so I can't see the PCB #. Darn.

Last edited:
Great link. THANKS! It would seem that the EK 290 reference block fits only the 390 cards without the new inductors. One could extrapolate that the same should be true of the Aquacomputer blocks. Now I just have to find out how to determine if the cards I'm going to buy have the new inductors. The PCB # seems to be the same. Time to go do some more research.
John

EDIT: EK must have bought the new type card with the intention of returning it as the golden fingers cover is still on; so I can't see the PCB #. Darn.
Why not ask XFX (or whoever)if they can email you some pics of the 390 board without the cooler their attached? They may say no. But if they do, then you'll know for certain the exact position of all the inducters, vrms etc.

John

So did it finally work with the water-block?

XFX wasn't any help. Nor could I find any answers in the forums. But that's ok as I haven't had time to pursue this upgrade. Got wacked in the floods we had here in SC. I have been spending a little time looking into putting a 670w TEC under a newly designed CPU waterblock. I feel like this chip can handle another 500Mhz or so. It's rock solid stable at 5Ghz with only 1.525v and will run at 5.3Ghz @1.55v. It will fail P95 in about 10 seconds but I think a little sub -zero temperature will fix that.

Back