• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X and 290 Owners Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
^Thanks!

Installed flawlessly on my FX platform, but hang on one of my IvyBridges (z68).

Will try that.

Hi guys I have similar problems with gigabyte windforce r9 290s..first it could run for 2 days then i start having freezes and in the end I couldn't boot windows with them..it would freeze everytime it tried to install drivers..I suspect undervolting as a problem cause I have problems even at -19mv...i think it somehow "saved" the settings so i can't bot anymore...i've tried reinstalling windows, bios, switching to 2nd bios and back...is there anything else I can try?? seem like faulty batch to me..one thing I've noticed is that vram 1 in gpu-z was really high like 95-99 under load...while vram 2 ~65...If i compare it with reference cards I have ( msi, asus) they both have ~70 vram 1 and vram 2....
do You guys think there is any way to "reset" this cards?

I don't have the balls to try the new catalyst. I finally had my 6x r9 290 stable for 3 days straight. (turns out, when I swapped the cards around, and use another card for video output, the problem disappeared.. so I guess that 1 card didn't like hashing and outputting video together... that's all the conclusion I had.)

I am using Afterburner, and ALL on stock.
getting roughly 830-850kh/s, and for 3 days straight for the first time, so I am not going to try new CCC until it crashes. haha.

Yeah, forget it...using 13.9 myself for the 290 I'm mining with. Solid 830kh/s, adding a second one in that rig tomorrow.

Also have a gtx 780 at home now, WF 450w, very nice card. :D

I am interested to know everyone's experiences. I tried it and couldn't get into game before a crash. I just did a quick install though, not a proper cleanout then install. Don't have time to mess with it now, back to 13.12

Worked fine for me in BF4, two straight hours and no crash to desktop and no BSOD's like normal. Desktop froze, don't really know when though, had to reset.

Yeah, forget it...using 13.9 myself for the 290 I'm mining with. Solid 830kh/s, adding a second one in that rig tomorrow.

Also have a gtx 780 at home now, WF 450w, very nice card. :D

GTX780 @1200MHz ( should be easy on every card ) and new cudaminer with good script should hit 600kh/s. For now I'm benching my card ( prepared for sub 0 ) so I didn't check how much it can do.

Releasing non-reference 290/X takes too much time and pre-order prices are too high so I got 2nd GTX780 which is in my brother's pc ( and was cheaper ).

So 14.1 drivers aren't changing anything ?

Last edited:
14.1 killed did not change anything pn my 280x's, but just killed the hashrate of the 290x.

back on 13.12.

Ok guys, so i am days away from buying a 290x.

My question is, the Gigabyte 290x with the 3x cooler, isnt much more than the ref cooler, but are they better in the PCB, or is it still ref design with a better cooler?

Ok guys, so i am days away from buying a 290x.

My question is, the Gigabyte 290x with the 3x cooler, isnt much more than the ref cooler, but are they better in the PCB, or is it still ref design with a better cooler?

Reference or not much better ( at least looks like ref ). Non-reference with better vrm are still not available. ASUS DC2 290X looks worse than GTX780 DC2 ( 8 vs 10 phases etc ) but still better than ref ... and you can expect it in stores in 2-3 weeks.
Sapphire, Gigabyte, HIS, Power Color or any other brand are reference cards. MSI Gaming are ref cards too ( and have warranty stickers on cooler screws :-/ ).

Ok, well for re sale value, the 3x would be better than the ref cooler, and they are all ref cards.

Do we have any idea on when the non-ref cards will hit market? As I assume that will impact the reference card price?

Last edited:
Weird, I didn't see a change on my 290 at all. It's pretty wild to see the vast differences in impact from people with basically the same cards.
I was thinking the same thing in a another thread... But it wasn't regarding mining, just gaming in bf4... I don't recall seeing such vast discrepancies in drivers on the same card either.

Though in this context, There can be a lot of differences on the options on the mining side versus say, bf4 with the same settings.

In the documentation there was some description about some cards that were given priority in the current beta and some that were not yet optimized by AMD for mantle. That may explain the different experiences.

In the documentation there was some description about some cards that were given priority in the current beta and some that were not yet optimized by AMD for mantle. That may explain the different experiences.
The crazy part is the differences with the same cards. It makes sense they would target specific cards, newer ones for example. I wonder if it has something to do with chipset and/or cpu type as well.

GTX780 @1200MHz ( should be easy on every card ) and new cudaminer with good script should hit 600kh/s. For now I'm benching my card ( prepared for sub 0 ) so I didn't check how much it can do.

Releasing non-reference 290/X takes too much time and pre-order prices are too high so I got 2nd GTX780 which is in my brother's pc ( and was cheaper ).

So 14.1 drivers aren't changing anything ?

Except over clocking doesn't usually equate to larger hash rates. for instance my 290x will do 1150 but it mines best at 890 core - 1500 mem.

it makes no sense from a bencher's point of view where more mhz = higher scores but in the mining world it doesn't always follow a liner pattern at all often hurting performance.

Also - 14.1 drivers caused me issues esp when mining my screen would flicker alot and my hash rates dropped to 300. and BF4 would crash if i tried to enter the options screen to change it to mantel mode. apparently its happening to alot of people. I guess its a good thing i got bf4 free with 290 because id be super mad if i paid even 5$ for this game so far.

Except over clocking doesn't usually equate to larger hash rates. for instance my 290x will do 1150 but it mines best at 890 core - 1500 mem.

it makes no sense from a bencher's point of view where more mhz = higher scores but in the mining world it doesn't always follow a liner pattern at all often hurting performance.

Also - 14.1 drivers caused me issues esp when mining my screen would flicker alot and my hash rates dropped to 300. and BF4 would crash if i tried to enter the options screen to change it to mantel mode. apparently its happening to alot of people. I guess its a good thing i got bf4 free with 290 because id be super mad if i paid even 5$ for this game so far.

The crashing when enabling Mantle (its not just BF4, any other application that supports Mantle i.e. the Star Swarm benchmark will crash as well) is because of the Intel iGPU. You need to disable the intel iGPU in device manager to get it working.

I don't know if you realize but no matter what memory you have there , BIOS is the same. You can work on optimizations but that's all.

Back