• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad sizes question just to be sure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

I have an EK-CoolStream SE 240 (Slim Dual) mounted in the rear of my PC w/ be quiet! 120mm high-speed "silent wings 3" fans on them pushing (they are sooooooooooo quiet it's crazy) and I'll have an EK-CoolStream SE 280 (Slim Dual) in the front w/ 2 140mm be quiet! high speed "silent wings 3" pulling, along w/ 3 silent wings 3 120mm high speeds blowing on them just an inch away (unless I start cutting steel in my case to make it flush.

These will be cooling an 8700k delided and a VEGA 64 undervolted w/ +50 power blah blah ran by a D5 EK pump.

Also have a 200mm big boy up top exhaust (w/ room if need be to put another 240 slim w/ some creative drilling into plastic & steel)

W/ the 2 rads that I have now, I'm wondering if this really is enough for some light rendering and gaming sessions. I think so, but it's good to have a 2nd pair of eyes. I can't go any thicker or longer on the rads but I can add a 3rd rad up top w/ work...

Thanks people.

I know that vega cards are hot, but even so, with a SE 240+280 you are fine and should have good temps.

At the end of the day if you are happy with the delta temps you are getting no need to make a change, if not adding more capacity will lower that

You are still working within a range where more capacity will make a difference.

After doing some measurements I decided that I do want to take advangate of this space up top below my 200mm fan... So I just ordered an EK PE 240 Dual that's 280x130x38 so it will just fit up there (after drilling some holes to mount it).
I may or may not add x2 140mm fans to it, I'll do that last after my loop is up and running for a few days to see if it makes any difference in temps since the big boy 200mm will be pulling.

So I'll have a 240 Slim Dual in the real, 240 Dual up top and a 280 slim dual in the front.

Antec 1200 inside Top 200mm.jpg

Might also take a look at the Phobya Xtreme 200. 240 x 199 x 45mm, designed for 180mm or 200mm fans, 12 fpi. Going for $60 on FrozenCPU and about $100 on other sites. Your case isn't listed on the compatibility list o

Alphacool makes an 180mm x 180mm x 45mm radiator too, with 12 fpi. It's a NexXxoS XT45.

Either of these might be easier to mount than the 280, and would have fins covering most or all of the ventilated area without extra.

Might also take a look at the Phobya Xtreme 200. 240 x 199 x 45mm, designed for 180mm or 200mm fans, 12 fpi. Going for $60 on FrozenCPU and about $100 on other sites. Your case isn't listed on the compatibility list o

Alphacool makes an 180mm x 180mm x 45mm radiator too, with 12 fpi. It's a NexXxoS XT45.

Either of these might be easier to mount than the 280, and would have fins covering most or all of the ventilated area without extra.

Already looked at those and the dimensions don't fit inside of my case unfortunately... My options up top are very limited.

Well I removed my hard drive cage from the front, drilled 8 holes in the side of my case and mounted my 2 Seagate Barracuda 6TB hard drives to them. They fit nicely there and I'm not sure why I didn't do that years ago........ You can't tell they are even there when the side panel is closed and the cable management was a breeze. Because of this I have over 17 inches of height clearance in the front, so I canceled the order for the EK-CoolStream SE 280 slim radiator and ordered the 360 XE which is 400x130x60 and I have space for a push pull on it w/ room to spare. (This Antec Twelve Hundred case is a beast).

So I'll have the following EK-CollStreams:

360 XE = 360 x 130 x 60mm in the front Push/Pull.
240 PE = 280 x 130 x 38mm up top push/pull (200mm big boy fan)
240 SE = 280 x 120 x 26mm rear pushing.

All fans are "be quiet! silent wings 3 high-speed"

damn expensive hobbies....

Last edited:
Back