• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rad suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

hey guys i havent upgraded my water loop in a very long time and im going to be building a new rig so i wanted to get some suggestions on the latest watercooling tech from the experts. my new rig is going to run two 290x maybe 3 with full cover blocks and full mobo/cpu cooling when the new haswell stuff comes out

i have two swiftech mcr20 120.3 rads their really skinny compared to whats out there right now should i keep using these or go for one of the nice fat ones like the Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta and since the case has the room for it i was thinking about running 120.4 rads. i dont care about the noise so im planning on using sp120 fans on a push/pull config on all the rads

and i was thinking about getting a bay res like the Koolance RP-452X2 to mount my pumps on it and save some space/make it look nicer any thoughts?

hey guys i havent upgraded my water loop in a very long time and im going to be building a new rig so i wanted to get some suggestions on the latest watercooling tech from the experts. my new rig is going to run two 290x maybe 3 with full cover blocks and full mobo/cpu cooling when the new haswell stuff comes out

i have two swiftech mcr20 120.3 rads their really skinny compared to whats out there right now should i keep using these or go for one of the nice fat ones like the Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta and since the case has the room for it i was thinking about running 120.4 rads. i dont care about the noise so im planning on using sp120 fans on a push/pull config on all the rads

and i was thinking about getting a bay res like the Koolance RP-452X2 to mount my pumps on it and save some space/make it look nicer any thoughts?

Have you figured how much heat load you will be roughly generating for said heat surface? Fyi, those rads you have should be included in the loop still. Just make sure to clean everything.

As for the bay reservoir, will you be using 2 pumps and which revision is that reservoir because they have a Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir Rev 2.0 now that fixes the issues the original one had.

i dont want to use these rads because i have had these rads for like 5 years or so...so i figured what ever was out there is way better

what is the go to rad or are they all around the same performance?

I have been using my MCR320 QP-K rad for 5 years now, and it still performs just like it did the first day I installed it. I suggest that you just keep the rads that you have already, and just add more to the loop if you need more. The trick to picking rads is that high FPI (fins per inch) needs high flow fans (more noise), and low FPI are well suited for low to medium speed fans. Not much has changed in the design of radiators really, so what you have is just as good as what's out there today. If you really feel the need to buy some new parts don't let anyone stop you, but what you have is just fine. This is just my opinion though.

i was just worred that this rad wasnt going to handle 2 290x's but i guess i wont know till i try it lol

but thanks guys u just saved me over 200 bucks :)

You have to calculate the heat load. Check out martinsliquidlab and skinnelabs for more info.

The only changes I can think of on rads is the thickness, FPI and chamber improvements. I will say I would most likely keep those 2 rads and add more to it if you wanted a silent build. Don't know what your rig looks like and where you'd position these rads etc. Is this the same case in your sig? You should think this thoroughly and plan your new routed loop. If you go with tri-xfire than you'll need to compensate for it so extra raddage will be needed depending on how you want to go with this.

This a single or dual loop? What Delta-Temps are you aiming for? What is your setup like now? What fans are going to be used? Will you have enough pumping power (standard is 1.0-1.5GPM) for all those components in the loop? What fluids are you using and what biocide? Are you aiming for a quiet rig or don't care for sound? Too many variables so we can't say what you should have.

Again, figure out your total heat load of the loop and that should at least head you in the right direction as to how much rad you think you will need.

Performance wise, if you are running your fans at 1500 rpm or less, you are going to be very dissapointed in any "upgrade" radiator you buy. You are talking about 10% or less heatload difference, so a degree or less in proper loop.

Thick radiators generally have a broader performance band than thin radiators, but at the thin radiators ideal fan rpm they will be able to compete with a thick radiator.

I'm currently running 120.6 worth of swiftech qp with ap-14(1450rpm) fans and my gaming delta is about 8℃ according to a pair of xspc temp probes.

i was just worred that this rad wasnt going to handle 2 290x's but i guess i wont know till i try it lol

but thanks guys u just saved me over 200 bucks :)

2x290x + a 2600k should be perfectly fine with 6x120 worth of radiators. I have a 3770K and a gtx 770 on a 3x120, and my temps are nice and low. If you decide on going with a third card, you might need a little more rad though.

i was thinking about getting a bay res like the Koolance RP-452X2 to mount my pumps on it and save some space/make it look nicer any thoughts?

I think you'll like the rp452x2. I just replaced a xspc dual pump, dual bay res with one, and it's a night and day difference in noise. I can't hear my 2 d5's even at 100%. During my leak test I saw less heat transfer from the pumps and the flow rate improved about 15%.

290x = 290 watts maxed out at stock clocks

Not sure what CPU you will end up with but for now figure a Devils Canyon at 84 watts maxed out at stock , possibly a bit more if you go with the Binned EX edition that is rumored to be released stock at 4GHz ???

Assuming you are running stock clocks that would be 664 watts with (2) cards and 954 watts with (3)

Sizing for max load could be construed as overkill but you will more than likely be overclocking this rig so some may say this is conservative and some may say I am out of my mind, regardless this is how I would play it in an effort to be around a 7 degree dt

3 cards + CPU = 120.12 at 2200 RPM's

2 cards + CPU = 120.8 at 2200 RPM's

best of luck

That's way.... way overkill in raddage and RPM witch. A tri-sli and CPU can be put on a 120.8/9 no problem. Again its all about the heatload and targeted Delta-temps at quiet or don't care operations. Also take into consideration that everyone else's ambient temps are different so to say for example you would need X amount of heat surface to hit said Delta-temps would be inaccurate to others. That's what the OP needs to tell us. We could crunch numbers here and guess but imho its worthless without what the known goals are for the OP.

:rofl:

Agree, more info is needed.

yea I am not very good at this stuff. trying to nail down data on what a 120mm RAD will dissipate at a said RMP ..

Reading on Google I am trying come up as an average and while every case is a bit different due to ambient and noise and rad selection I think I have come up with a decently close average at two sets of speeds. Being I have no idea what i am talking about perhaps you can help me in the vision to try to come up with a type of lets say rule of thumb 120 mm rad at given speeds as to be able to come up with quick rad area on the fly.

Here is what I have come up with

120.1 mm at 2200 RPM = 75 watts

120.1 mm At 1100 RPM = 50 watts

these are bases upon the 60mm performance moderately spaced FPI that would preform well under both air flow conditions say a AC60 for instance

How far off do you think I am or am I simply way off on the loads using max TDP of said components,

Apologize to OP for off topic, just trying to get my head wrapped around this

Thanks

:rofl:

Agree, more info is needed.

yea I am not very good at this stuff. trying to nail down data on what a 120mm RAD will dissipate at a said RMP ..

Reading on Google I am trying come up as an average and while every case is a bit different due to ambient and noise and rad selection I think I have come up with a decently close average at two sets of speeds. Being I have no idea what i am talking about perhaps you can help me in the vision to try to come up with a type of lets say rule of thumb 120 mm rad at given speeds as to be able to come up with quick rad area on the fly.

Here is what I have come up with

120.1 mm at 2200 RPM = 75 watts

120.1 mm At 1100 RPM = 50 watts

these are bases upon the 60mm performance moderately spaced FPI that would preform well under both air flow conditions say a AC60 for instance

How far off do you think I am or am I simply way off on the loads using max TDP of said components,

Apologize to OP for off topic, just trying to get my head wrapped around this

Thanks

Copy all of this and start up a new thread. We'll discuss and I am sure some others will chime in.

Started another thread, it seems Martin has done some calcs and the results are posted in a sticky that you have already linked I believe

here are those results for the OP

On Average at 10C disapated

120.1 mm at 2200 RPM = 105 watts

120.1 mm At 1000 RPM = 50 watts

If you use the TDP of your components with (3) cards you have 954 watts at stock (2) cards you have 664 watts at stock

so the simple math puts you at if noise is not an issue

3 cards + CPU = 120.10

2 cards + CPU = 120.6

For a quite system

3 cards + CPU = 120.18

2 cards + CPU = 120.14

Yikes :eek:

Wiating on a K-type probe to try to test it out on my system

I have 2x GK110's coooled with 120.8 and 3930K being cooled with 120.8

Source:

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/04/14/360-radiator-shootout-summary/

Hope this is helpful, Good luck to the OP :)

lmfao this is great info dont worry about going off topic im learning!

and sorry for the vague op

i will be running devils canyon and will be overclocking and im considering doing full mobo cooling. that said the cpu/mobo will be on their own loop probably with one of my old 120.3 rads

now i was thinking about upgrading the rad for the gpu loop since the plan is to run 3 290x.... im thinking i could get away with getting a monsta 480 rad and one of my old 360 rads for the gpu loop and if more coolage is needed i can add a 240 rad in the front panel

all of this will be going into a corsair 900d so there is PLENTY of room for all these rads with push/pull config and all the fans will be sp120 performance editions so yea noise is not a problem for me

im also thinking about getting the aquaero 6 xt....is it worth the 200 bucks? i like the idea of monitoring all my temps and controlling the fans accordingly but i think ill probably get over it after the first month lol...

and lastly whats do you guys think about acrylic tubing??? i really like the way it looks but i feel like it would be a huge PITA any time i wanted to take something out of the loop....\

and disregard the system in the sig its a couple years outdated lol i havent been very active on the forum

Sound like it will be an epic build, hope you show us some pics along the way

you may want to consider using the 120.2 for the CPU and te 120.7 for the GPU's
, those 290 watt beast are going to bring the heat in a big way, especially if pushed to the brink

the aquaero 6 is cool and all that but agree, you will lose intrest quick and 200 could be put into a nice SSD or something else that is more preformance oriented.

you could simply get some fan buses or just buy fans that are at the RPM you want to run at based on your surface area, even PMW controlled fans. Do some research, don't get stuck on one brand or method. That is half the fun of a build the magnitude of what you are talking about.

The nice thing about acylic is it eliminates any plastisizer issues, and lets face it is is the bomb. I used copper tubing in mine to make it a little different

The MB blocks will give you a wow factor and are cool looking and if that is why you are leaning that way it is way cool. however their is no real value in doing so if you are thinking it will give you better clocks it more than likely will not. Same with memory cooling, looks wicked but no real preformance value.

have you worked out the resevoirs and pumps yet ?
Not fimiliar with the 900D , but a quick search shows this to be one big case, should do well for you

I used a caselabs, may be worth a peak

But the best advice I can give you is to research everything and keep an open mind, really nail it down before you start purchasing as this can help you avoid frustration and insure maximum fun :thup:

eh im sure 120.2 is enough for cpu but.... i have the money for the extra rads and if i have one just sitting there why not use it? lol

i know the mobo cooling wont make a difference for my use case iv been around the block many of times but i love the way it looks and if im gonna dump this much money on this rig might as well go all the way u know

and yea im leaning away from the aquaero....i want to want it but i know my self and i wont be using it lol... looks like its gonna be over 200 bucks in fittings alone so i could use the extra capital

im using my old pumps which are the mcr655's and iv had a huge hard on for that koolance res so ill probably be using that unless something better comes along...also thinking about sticking some of the cylinder style res's in there some how i have 2 huge ones from a previous build laying around so ill see how that goes

and i already bought the case and have most of the sp120 fans so thats that lol

basically just waiting for freaking intel to get off their *** so i can hit the buy button... i really wanted to wait for broadwell but theres no way i can make it that long lol...when i get that upgrade itch there is no amount of reason that can stop me

alright i think im gonna buy 2 480 monstas and put one on top and one at the bottom for the video cards then a 360 for the cpu/mobo but now im a little worried about flow rates for the video cards....do you think a single mcr655 is enough?

Back