• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rad suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
alright i think im gonna buy 2 480 monstas and put one on top and one at the bottom for the video cards then a 360 for the cpu/mobo but now im a little worried about flow rates for the video cards....do you think a single mcr655 is enough?

8x120 is overkill for 2 cards regardless. Even with 3 cards that is bordering on overkill. The way I have always looked at it is 1x120 per heat source for moderate power loads, and 2x120 per heat source for high power loads. So assuming 3 290x's (6x120) and a decent overclocked processor (2x120), that leaves you with 8x120 worth of rad needed. Seeing as you have 6x120 worth of rad, just buy a 2x120 and you will be golden. The mobo is inconsequential to the heat load, and does not warrant more rad. With a single 655 you will be fine with each loop. You could even go with a 355 for the cpu/mobo and be fine. I suggest that you listen to reason and experience on this matter, and save your money for more worthwhile upgrades.

8x120 is overkill for 2 cards regardless. Even with 3 cards that is bordering on overkill. The way I have always looked at it is 1x120 per heat source for moderate power loads, and 2x120 per heat source for high power loads. So assuming 3 290x's (6x120) and a decent overclocked processor (2x120), that leaves you with 8x120 worth of rad needed. Seeing as you have 6x120 worth of rad, just buy a 2x120 and you will be golden. The mobo is inconsequential to the heat load, and does not warrant more rad. With a single 655 you will be fine with each loop. You could even go with a 355 for the cpu/mobo and be fine. I suggest that you listen to reason and experience on this matter, and save your money for more worthwhile upgrades.

Possibly I am missing something. 120.1 per heat source ???

Would that not assume all heat sources are equal ?

In the research I have done I have not seen this approach. is this formalized or simply just a rule of thumb ?

Not trying to start an argument, just would like to how this sizing method was arrived at ?

Thanks

Yes, its a poor way of figuring out radiator needs. CPUs dump a great deal less heat than GPUs, but they are also far more sensitive to the water temp. Thats why the 295x2 is able to cool what amounts to two 290x cores with a single 120.1. GPUs are perfectly fine with water that is 20-30 degrees warmer than ambient. Meanwhile, my 4670k will hit 85c with like a 2 degree water delta.

Yes, its a poor way of figuring out radiator needs. CPUs dump a great deal less heat than GPUs, but they are also far more sensitive to the water temp. Thats why the 295x2 is able to cool what amounts to two 290x cores with a single 120.1. GPUs are perfectly fine with water that is 20-30 degrees warmer than ambient. Meanwhile, my 4670k will hit 85c with like a 2 degree water delta.

+1

Sorry, I've been MIA and last nights bar action is taking its toll. :screwy:

We kinda have a rule of thumb. Its either 120.1 per chip for high FPI/high RPM or 120.2 for low FPI/low RPM but that has pretty much gone out the window because every chip is different in heat load and you will eventually hit diminishing returns. As said by trucker, CPU's are very sensitive compared to GPUs. GPUs can have a 20c delta all day and not break a sweat. Hell they can go as high as 30c-40c.

As for what the OP needs, I'd fill up the 900D with all low FPI rads with premium Noiseblocker E-loop radiator fans because she is a HUGE case . Those fans are expensive but very quiet and well worth it. The point of this build is to get watercooled temps at quiet loads unless you want a noisy rig. I personally went overkill on a CPU + GPU only loop. lol 120.4 on the bottom windowed side, 120.2 on the PSU back side and a 120.3 up top is my setup atm. Low FPI rads @ 800-1000 RPM fans. I will have to update my build log soon and input all this newly updated info.

In your case OP, you could go 120.4 bottom and top and 120.2 on the PSU bottom side. You won't be able to fit a radiator on the front because the bottom rads would be in the way. Don't forget if you do go 120.4 up top, you will lose the top bay space. Make sure to measure how much room you have with the 25mm fans. It will add up quick. I could have gone with push and pull but the fans literally would be blowing air next to each other. I would just got with either push OR pull on all rads. I would do a positive pressure configuration since the 900D is filled with filters except for the back. What I have done is use all the fans, top, bottom and front as intake and use the unfiltered back as exhaust. I barely have dust in my case and love it that way.

I also wouldn't watercool the MB or RAM. Just CPU and GPU all in ONE loop. Dual loops are pointless these days plus you'd spend extra money for a few degrees.

The 2 D5s with the newly revised Koolance reservoir should be more than enough. Having 2 pumps is great because you add redundancy. Just pay attention to priming and bleeding as Koolance reservoirs have been prone to those issues at times.

As for tubing if you chose to go with, Primochill Advanced LRT is the king atm. No issues what so ever and pick the color you'd like. If you went with rigid tubing, its great looking but a pain in the wazoo if you had to install, repair or exchange parts from the rig or loop. I would stick with tubing for way less headaches.

Distilled water and biocide is the right choice.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. I also hope you bring us along in your journey in pics. :p

Last edited:
i just took a look at your build log gtx nice job!

i was under the impression that you could fit a 120.3 at the bottom in front of the psu but i guess our psu's are to big! i too have the ax1200i

and i was going to have separate loops so one pump per.... no redundancy

im sure 120.8 is way overkill for 3 290x's but aesthetics is key for this build...plus now i will have more cooling power in case i decide to add a fourth if the games demand it...

i really dont mind the noise lvl these sp120's put out im used to being in a room with 8 290x going at 100% fan speed lol...plus once i put on my astros i dont hear a dam thing

Thanks! I will be doing more updates to it soon.

Yeah, just fill her up with rad space since you'll be at tri or quad xfire. Those 290xs pour out lots of heat.

I would still stick with one whole loop and have the flow from CPU to GPU. I think with tri/quad xfire would be too much for the CPU since its so sensitive to heat.

I still would be comfortable with such a expensive rig to have 2 pumps working at all times incase one goes out the other will keep going.

I almost forgot, colored fluids stain and sometimes clog up blocks etc. Are you willing to do complete tear downs and clean every say 2-3 months before the colors stain everything? Sometimes it happens even sooner. I remember someone complaining within the first month. I would steer away from color fluid and go with distilled water w/ silver kill coil and colored tubing.

Again, its up to you on how you want to go with this but be sure you know the effects of doing certain things for the loop. Doing certain things for looks is fine but if it has a negative impact I would again steer away as it will save you many headaches.

man i have had many loops and have always use dyes never had a issue with clogged blocks.... and i dont change my water for years lol....

one time with my first wc build like 6 years ago or so i had a tiny bit of blue stuff on one of my blocks but not enough to clog anything and my temps were fine

im sure at one point dyes had certain properties that clogged **** up or maybe the ppl that had problems didnt use biocide like ptnuke but iv never had that issue...so yes i will be using dyes and no i will not tear down 3 months down the road unless i need to lol

as for the pump issue one of the main reasons i wanted that koolance res was because i can have two different color liquids in there.... if i run my pumps on the same loop then theres no point of having that res...

just ordered some of the parts!

3 gpu waterblocks
koolance res
2 alphacool monsta quad rads
monsoon rigid tubing modding kit
1/2 petg rigid tubing

Back