• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon HD3400 + HD3600 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You want a $50 video card with a 256-bit memory bus? You sit there and talk about "They can just reuse the 3850 PCB", when it's quite likely the 3850 PCB cost them more than you want to pay for the entire card and the packaging and cooling that must go with it?

I'm ignoring the rest of your post, because if you can't grasp the above, then you won't understand the rest. A PCB is not a $5 part; "already have one" is not a cost-savings function. And if you want a $50 video card that can play back BluRay, then you'd best be prepared to spend $200 on a processor.

ALB
you really need to go back and reread my posts. no where did i ever state a 256bit card for $50. you just put that in your own head.
Here
ati has left open some areas,imo.. like a 128bit 3400 or a 256bit 3600... dosent have to be high end.. just give the lower end at least one card to be worthy of buying in that section.
it wouldnt be that hard for them to fill out the rest of the line. look at the pricing gaps. its $49-65 and $79-99, so we have a hole in $66-78 you could fit the 128bit 3400 in there. how about the fact they have a hole from $100-$174. being as the 3850 256mb card is 174 msrp, cheapest on newegg. why not put a 3600 in the $100-175 range? ati wants/needs the money, how hard is it really to just yes they have a hole and could possible do this? the could just as easily use the 3600 to make a 3400 with 128bit. as well use a 3850 to make a 3600 with 256bit...

now where did i say 256bit card for $50? i will once agian say if you have some problem then just drop it. as it seems you cant though for what ever reason.

*edit*
just adding..
that i dont see the 64bit cards worth the money, make just one 128bit now you have my interest. i need to go check but i thought the 3000's added blueray/hd-dvd hardware support, if not then i guess im waiting..

Last edited:
all the hype and rhetoric is irrelevant until we see some specs, benchmarks and reviews; not to mention even seeing one for sale

:bang head

i bought a 3650 because the guy trying to sell the 3850 tried to scam me :/ lame. But i bough the 3650 plus the cheapo zalman cooler. I'm thinking of putting the zalman cooler on my CPU to see if it does any good. If it does i shall buy another one for CPU and GPU lol.

Should I go with a 3650 with GDDR3 to replace my 7900GS KO? Or buy a 2nd 7900GS and SLI them?

for the price the 3870 but at the same price point and you can get the 9600GT.

for the price the 3870 but at the same price point and you can get the 9600GT.
It's really a 50/50 decision with those two cards.
Same price, same performance.
The 3870 is more readily available though and it's(slightly/hardly any) better at HTPC.

Price war FTW!

for a HTPC i would take a ATI card.. as AVVIO/UVD is not PQ depent on clock speed like NV is. though this then depends if you get a high clocked Say 9400GS vs a ATI card with high SP count. in this area i would underclock the high SP ati card to keep the core cool. since for me it would be just dvd/blueray playback. in the sense that NV is relied more on core speed you would then need better cooling. even on the lowly x400GS cards... is truely a tough choice if you just buy the card for video playback. for gaming though your right shell its really tough to choose which to get. considering thoug the 9600GT is a smaller die and should run cooler as using less voltage. my thoughts then would be since price and preformance are the same. which runs cooler and which one is quieter?

Back