• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon Pro Vega II Duo what kind of PCIe slot did it need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What's the Thunderbolt 3 connector for? The PCIe 3.0 x16 connector doesn't supply enough bandwidth?! Could you use the Thunderbolt 3 connector for video output (there are adapters for Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI)? Could you theoretically use a Radeon Pro Vega II in crossfire for gaming?

There are thunderbolt displays. It's essentially mini display port iirc

The TB3 connector is for video. I believe that link even said as much. ;)

As far as your question about gaming, it's a pro card, so, IIRC, drivers for those don't play well with games and I'm not sure you can install the game drivers on a pro card. In googling for you, I ran across an article that said don't expect to game on this card....... but I didn't click.

The Radeon Pro Vega II Duo has built in HDMI 2.0 according to the article, but why the 40 GiB/s bandwidth Thunderbolt 3 connector? Would high DPI and/or HDR video editing require that kind of bandwidth for a monitor?

Considering its proprietary PCIe power edge connector I guess it doesn't matter if it can game.

Why didn't AMD just go with three 8-pin PCIe power connectors rather than a custom PCIe power edge connector?

Back