• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon VII Troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sajeev3105

Registered
Hi Guys,
Does anyone have any experience with overclocking Radeon VII? My card is not giving me a performance that I am looking for. My cinebencz scores are not great at all somewhere around 8700 on 3D Time Spy and 4192 on Time Spy extreme. My config is as as below:

MB: Asus Maximus XI Extreme
CPU: i9 9900K (On custom liquid cooling, 420MM Radiator)
RAM: DOminator Platinum 64GB @ 3200 MHz
Storage: NVME Samsung 970 EVO PRO
PSU: 2000 Watt EVGA
GPU: Radeon VII

Currently I am stuck at 356 MHz on Memory clock... is this normal? My driver version is 19.3.1 downloaded from the AMD website.

With such a bad benchmark scores I am not sure if I have something wrong here?

Any help will be deeply appreciated. I tried doing it using AMD Radeon settings utility, global wattman but with no luck, my system completely freezes on clicking save when I try even the Automatic OC mode... Please help it's getting so frustrating...

Also can someone please guide me on undervolting the card? I want to know which utility to use and how to do it correctly.

Rgds
Sajeev

Time Spy is found in 3DMark, Not Cinebench. You got your products confused I think.

Is the Memory Clock reporting GDDR bus frequency or GDDR5 frequency?

Hi, Sorry for the creating confusion, yes I meant to type benchmark scores and ended up typing cinebench... I have no idea if its GDDR bus frequency or GDDR5 frequency, I think this card uses HBM2 memory instead of GDDR5, isn't it? Anyhow I am attaching a picture of my screen, would be great if you could please see and guide me. IMG_1021.jpg

It uses HBM and it should have frequency of ~1000MHz.
1. I don't remember if this card has 2 BIOS chips, if yes then check if it's set to performance BIOS (manual switch on the card itself, upper side ), if it forces low clock then can be set to low power BIOS but I'm not sure how it works on R7
2. Check if you can modify memory clock once custom settings are enabled in the wattman
3. Reinstall last official driver picking clean install option and check if it works
4. Be sure that all windows updates are installed (it shouldn't cause low clock but I've seen weird things on early Win10 installation without updates and new hardware)

This card dose not have dual bios. I would do a full clean driver installed and then optimize it manually slowly to see.

Anyone having problems with Radeon Adrenalin software freezing/crashing after changing any values in Global Wattman? Mine does this almost all the time.. Have the latest version 19.3.3.

19.3.3 is a beta driver IIRC so there could be problems with it. You can remove it and try an older one.
Also checking GPU speeds is bets done with GPUz. Go to the sensor tab and set cpu and mem to monitor max speeds. Run a benchmarks then check and see how fast it actually went. On idle the core and memory speeds are reduced to save power and heat

You can simply use any other software which works about the same. MSI Afterburner or anything else should work too.
I had no problems with AMD drivers but I have Vega56@64. The same family so shouldn't be much different. Actually, I'm surprised how well everything works and there are no issues at all.

@Johan45 no matter what version I use, it just has the same issue... Tried 19.2.2 also ..

You didn't really do what I was asking. We need to verify what your actual clocks are. Like I said at idle they will be low like this

gpuz befor.JPG gpuz.JPG

But these cards are made to save power so they only hit full speeds when under a load. Use GPU-z and on the graphics card tab you will find a section that mentions PCIe speed. Beside it is a "?" if you click on the "?" you will be given the option to start the GPUz render test. Start the test switch the GUI to the sensor tab and take a screenshot like this so we can see what is actually happening under load

gpuz after.JPG

Ok so I guess there's a confusion here, my clock speeds are ok now and I am getting 1950MHz on clock speeds and 1200MHz on the memory @ 1104mV. This has been solved. Now my second problem which has not been sorted out is that My Radeon Adrenalin software keeps on freezing all the time after I have made any adjustments in the Global Wattman. No matter what version I use. I don't know if I am the only one facing this issue. Just like @Woomack said in his reply probably will have to look other options...

Anyhow thanks a Ton and my mistake for not having mentioned above that my previous problem has been solved. But yeah you did teach me one or two things about the GPU-Z software. Sorry for all the inconvenience, sometimes being a starter at overclocking becomes a matter of Pain for others. Once again sorry to have bothered all of you on this.

Rgds
Sajeev IMG_1043.jpg IMG_1045.jpg

You didn't really do what I was asking. We need to verify what your actual clocks are. Like I said at idle they will be low like this

View attachment 205098View attachment 205100

But these cards are made to save power so they only hit full speeds when under a load. Use GPU-z and on the graphics card tab you will find a section that mentions PCIe speed. Beside it is a "?" if you click on the "?" you will be given the option to start the GPUz render test. Start the test switch the GUI to the sensor tab and take a screenshot like this so we can see what is actually happening under load

View attachment 205099

Back