• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TwoTone

Registered
I've been researching fans since finishing my new build.Something I haven't found a discussion on through googling- Noise vs. PWM range.

Just using the specs on these two EKWB fans for discussion.
The F3 get great reviews from what I can find. But the duty cycle only goes down to 50%. So the question is, even though the EVO is a louder fan(I assume the DBA rating is at full speed) is it a better choice for noise at idle since the PWM cycle goes down to 25%?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the specs. The F3 at 50% PWM is 925 RPM whereas the EVO at 25% PWM is 550 RPM, so I would assume quieter at idle and really only noisier if it goes to 100%

Vardar F3.jpg Vadar Evo.jpg

I'm not really sure about your question but perhaps my experience can help you decide. I have the Corsair H115i extreme AIO and I just replaced it's stock SP140L fans with the Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wing 3 PWM High Speed https://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/723 and I am getting the same temps for a huge difference in dBa. I can barely even hear the Silent Wing 3's compared to the same water temps w/ the stock fans going.

I have 6 of the EVOs and they are silent aside from a little bearing noise under 800 rpm. Below 1500 they are fairly moderate. At full speed they sound like a jet taking off (loud enough to hear while gaming with earbuds).

Back