• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator, Girth vs Length

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DNRDustin

If surface area is the name of the game, can thickness compensate for length? First lets take fans "out" of the equation, I have noctua ippc 3000's so I feel I'm relatively optimized for any thickness/fpi. Second lets compare the alphacool nexxos 280mm UT60 to the 560mm ST30, let's also pretend they have the same fpi(performance-pcs lists the UT60@10fpi, and the ST30@16fpi). Now let's throw the fans back in the equation, crank up to 100%, and see what happens. I know at a certain point more rpm's will not be beneficial on the ST30(I have no idea how the physics on this works), but let's just assume that's not a factor. We have 2 radiators with roughly the same surface area, that will dissipate roughly the same amount of heat, correct?

Last edited:
Yes if you simplify it down to 2 configurations that have the same surface area they would generally be able to handle the same heat dissipation. It would be necessary to move the same amount of air through them to achieve this though, so you would need to double the velocity of the air through the smaller thicker radiator as compared to the larger thicker radiator. There will also be some efficiency loss through the thicker radiator due to the air warming more as it passes through the radiator but this would be negligible.

If surface area is the name of the game, can thickness compensate for length? First lets take fans "out" of the equation, I have noctua ippc 3000's so I feel I'm relatively optimized for any thickness/fpi. Second lets compare the alphacool nexxos 280mm UT60 to the 560mm ST30, let's also pretend they have the same fpi(performance-pcs lists the UT60@10fpi, and the ST30@16fpi). Now let's throw the fans back in the equation, crank up to 100%, and see what happens. I know at a certain point more rpm's will not be beneficial on the ST30(I have know idea how the physics on this works), but let's just assume that's not a factor. We have 2 radiators with roughly the same surface area, that will dissipate roughly the same amount of heat, correct?

This is a setup.
Get to the point.

This is a setup.
Get to the point.

No setup, at least not as far this thread/question is concerned. Just lookin' into building a custom loop, and couldn't find anything that didn't resort to the "there's to many variables" answer. I do realize there are but....

Last edited:
No setup, at least not as far this thread/question is concerned. Just lookin' into building a custom loop, and couldn't find anything that didn't resort to the "there's to many variables" answer.

How about just looking at tested radiators to compare them??

How about just looking at tested radiators to compare them??

I have, and still felt like I needed to ask. Although there's plenty of info out there, I have not seen a comparison in the way I'm asking. Also, all the charts and graphs are a little overwhelming. There are soOoooo many variables too.

Just have to take a breather and look at the data out there. Skinneelabs and Martinsliquidlab are the places to look.

I have, and still felt like I needed to ask. Although there's plenty of info out there, I have not seen a comparison in the way I'm asking. Also, all the charts and graphs are a little overwhelming. There are soOoooo many variables too.

Martin's testing takes out all variables besides the radiator for testing, just look there.

1st priority to consider is length of rad.
2nd would be the width.
3rd would be the thickness.

Thickness is a bit tricky to take into account as overall fan speed and whether you run push/pull will affect the overall benefit of a thicker radcquite substantially.

1st priority to consider is length of rad.
2nd would be the width.
3rd would be the thickness.

Thickness is a bit tricky to take into account as overall fan speed and whether you run push/pull will affect the overall benefit of a thicker radcquite substantially.

There is yet another consideration... $$$, and this is where you can blow your budget right out the window. I do like to read all the reviews and comments about the various parts, and based on these reviews I create my list of possibilities. However, if the "great" deal gets thrown in your lap AND I can save $$$... decisions decisions.

Back