• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 5 and partition expansion question and request for recomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silkshadow

I just wanted to check before I do this :D. I have two Raid 5 arrays on a Promise EX8350. Each array consist of 4 WD 500GB drives. All the same exact model and I am running it on Win 2k3. I have finally been able to get another box that can take the contents of one of the arrays. I am already moving the data over right now (taking forever :(). What I want to do is add the 4 drives from one array to merge with the other. This part is no problem, I know exactly what to do.

My question is, once I add the 4 drives from one array to the other I will have an existing partition (that Win 2k3 sees) of 1.5TB and an empty pool of unused 1.5TB. So what I want to do is expand the existing 1.5TB partition to encompass the entire array of 3TBs.

Can I use one of those partition commander-type programs to do this? Does any of them support such large volumes? Can you recommend to me a program that can do this?

What is the chances of doing this and loosing the data in the existing array? I am willing to risk a very small chance but its alot of data that I don't want to loose and I have no place to back it up so I am only willing to face a small chance.

Is there a better way? Any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Back