• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID Failed on Dual Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

One of my 36GB Raptors in RAID has failed. I had Windows XP on the Raptors and Windows 7 on a 640gb drive. When I used to boot up it would give me the option to pick, now with the RAID failed it just says "No Operating Sysgtem". How can I get back to my Windows 7 boot?

I think my problem is the MBR was on the RAID drive so my Windows 7 drive has no MBR. I've tried the repair tool but it won't let me put a MBR on it.

When I select bootrec /rebuildbcd it shows an installation on C: but when I hit Y to add installation to boot list it says "element not found".

It is likely the Win 7 partition is not set active. You can use diskpart or Gparted to set Win 7 install location as active. Then likely you can boot to Win 7 recovery dvd and the recovery DVD will repair the booting to Win 7 as it will be only O/s there. Sometimes it takes more than one boot to repair.

Awesome! After setting the partition to active and running the Windows 7 recovery from the disk Windows 7 booted up!

Thanks so much!!

Looks like it's time to dumb that 36x2gb Raptor setup with Windows XP...

Glad you got it sorted. I hate those types of issues.

I had no idea how many words I would have to write to describe to my brother how to n0t have such an issue when he wants to move WinXP from one drive to another with partitions aligned. Then put Win 7 in place of the original WinXP installation. I guess I am just wordy, but it took 11Kb in notepad. Dang, a lot of covering the what if's but I wrote specifically for his system as I remember it and not in general.

Again, glad you have her humming along. RGone...ster.

Back