• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the only point for raid 1 (mirroring) is not performance, but security.

if one drive fails, and the other drive is still alive, then you still have your data.

mirroring really does do what the name suggests. it just writes the system data twice, once on each disk, at the same time, so that if you removed one disk from the array, you could just run it off an IDE controller, and never know it was on a RAID controller.

and in raid 1 (mirroring), if you use 2 disks of equal size, say 120GB each, you'll only see 120GB of available space under windows. This is half of the total capacity of the 2 drives.

in raid 0 (striping), you can use 2 disks or more. You nearly double your transfer rate with 2 disks, and increase it even more with more disks, but the gains diminish the more disks you add. You still keep the total capacity of the drives, so 2x 120GB in striping is 240GB. but, if one drive fails, you loose ALL the data.

raid level 5 offers security and speed, but requires several disks. with severall disks, it basically stripes the system data + parity data to all the drives, and if one drive fails, the data on that drive can be rebuilt from the parity data from all the other drives. Losing 2 disks at the same time leads to the loss of all data. The available space is equal to (number of drives - 1) x size of smallest disk. You need at least 3 drives for this setup.

another possibility is level 1+0, basically a mirror array made up of 2 striped arrays. You need at least 4 drives for this kind of setup. Your storage capacity will be half of the total capacity of all your drives--------------------------------------------------------------------------

with your controller, you wrote that you have the options of 0, 1, or 0+1, so if you only have 2 disks of 120GB, then the only options are level 0 for speed (with capacity of 240GB), or level 1 for security (with capacity of 120GB).

If you want to use 0+1, you'll need to get 2 more drives, so you have 4 in total. if you have 4x 120GB drives, then you'll have 240GB of space with level 0+1. (are you sure this is supported though?)

Or you could just run them off the controller but as single drives.

Last edited:
Raid has many options for choice. Really the only feasible ones are:
Raid 0: Just for the pure speed and snappiness of it
Raid 1: Slow but for data security reasons
Raid 0+1: Lots of drives but the speed and security of Raid 0 and Raid 1
Raid 5: The speed and security of Raid 0 and Raid 1 but with less space lost due to mirroring. You need 3 drives but you only loose say 120gb's if you have 3 120 drives in this config. Still if 1 drive fails it will operate as normal.

Doh Shiyan you beat me to the punch, dang work has to bug me when I write here hehehe.

shiyan said:
the only point for raid 1 (mirroring) is not performance, but security.

if one drive fails, and the other drive is still alive, then you still have your data.

mirroring really does do what the name suggests. it just writes the system data twice, once on each disk, at the same time, so that if you removed one disk from the array, you could just run it off an IDE controller, and never know it was on a RAID controller.

and in raid 1 (mirroring), if you use 2 disks of equal size, say 120GB each, you'll only see 120GB of available space under windows. This is half of the total capacity of the 2 drives.

in raid 0 (striping), you can use 2 disks or more. You nearly double your transfer rate with 2 disks, and increase it even more with more disks, but the gains diminish the more disks you add. You still keep the total capacity of the drives, so 2x 120GB in striping is 240GB. but, if one drive fails, you loose ALL the data.

raid level 5 offers security and speed, but requires several disks. with severall disks, it basically stripes the system data + parity data to all the drives, and if one drive fails, the data on that drive can be rebuilt from the parity data from all the other drives. Losing 2 disks a the same time leads to the loss of all data. The available space is equal to (number of drives - 1) x size of smallest disk. You need at least 3 drives for this setup.

another possibility is level 1+0 (also known as level 10), basically a mirror array made up of 2 striped arrays. You need at least 4 drives for this kind of setup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

with your controller, you wrote that you have the options of 0, 1, or 0+1, so if you only have 2 disks of 120GB, then the only options are level 0 for speed (with capacity of 240GB), or level 1 for security (with capacity of 120GB).

If you want to use 0+1, you'll need to get 2 more drives, so you have 4 in total. if you have 4x 120GB drives, then you'll have 240GB of space with level 0+1. (are you sure this is supported though?)

Or you could just run them off the controller but as single drives.

ok maybe ill just to RAID 0 then... Yes im sure my mobo does 0+1 cause that was copied from thier website... but i don't want to buy 3 more drives. i wish i could do RAID 3....:( also raid 0+1 is not raid 10.... if i do 0+1 when one disk fails the RAID will just become RAID 0.. i don't quite get it. http://www.acnc.com/04_01_0p1.html
RAID 0+1 is NOT to be confused with RAID 10.

what are the chances of drives failing? is there a warning so i can know when the drive is about to fail? or maybe ill do RAID 0 and have one of those massssive Maxtor backup drives.... can i have some opinions on what to do? cause i think my computer is significantely fast and i think its my harddrives that are the bottleneck of the computer. i might ask for another harddrive for christmas so im asking all about this now... and please don't recommend a controler card unless is absolutely necessary because i don't have any slots in the back of my computer open.... i guess i could take out one of the usb things, but only if there is a much better RAID that my motherboard cannot do.

link to motherboard: http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8KNXP.htm (mine is not the revision 2)

also what is JBOD ?

didn't know that 0+1 was different from 10. my bad. thanks for the heads up.

what they mean is that if one of the disks in a 4 disk raid 0+1 array setup dies on you, one of the two striped arrays dies. Remember that the mirrored array is made up of the 2 striped arrays. Because 1 is now dead, you are left with just 1 working striped array.

Then you are just left with a mirror array with just one member left, the level 0 raid array. This is why when one disk dies in a 0+1 array, you are left with a level 0 array.

Chances of a drive failing... above my head. Although I remember that there were some good FAQs over at storagereview.com I'll try to find the right one for you.

enabling SMART can help with predicting drive failure, but isn't a guarantee.

backing up is always a good idea. backing one of thos huge 5400rpm disks could be quite a good solution.

JBOD: Just a Bunch Of Disks (at least that's what I remember...)

Last edited:
stan03 said:
darn... so then there really is no point in running raid 1 huh? it just like running two drives seperate....

Well if its performance you are looking for then raid 1 is not what you want. I sleep better at night knowing that my most important data is stored on my raid 1 box though.

i think ill do RAID 0 with one of those massive Maxtor external backup drives.... does that sound good?

RAID 1 is just 2 drives with the same content. If your worried about a drive dieing, that would be a reason to use 1. I have two PCs with RAID 0 using IBM 120GXP on one and Maxtor SATAs on the other. Never a problem with either. If one of your RAID 1 drives has a virus, they both do. Not so secure. I think your best solution is what I've been using. That is a third HD on the IDE controler for backup. Every so often check the RAID 0 array for viruses then ghost the RAID drives to the single HD. Or create or buy a script that will back up your My Documents and Program Files at the same time every day, to the IDE drive. If the array dies, just set your BIOS to boot from the IDE drive and your still in business. I believe this is essentially what RAID 5 does.

stan03: that sounds good. :thup:

doodah10: that's a good setup, but raid 5 is a little different from what you described, this is what I wrote a little higher up in this thread:

"raid level 5 offers security and speed, but requires several disks. with severall disks, it basically stripes the system data + parity data to all the drives, and if one drive fails, the data on that drive can be rebuilt from the parity data from all the other drives. Losing 2 disks at the same time leads to the loss of all data. The available space is equal to (number of drives - 1) x size of smallest disk. You need at least 3 drives for this setup."

yea well i already have an sata drive... but im not sure how im gonna use it when i get ata 133 raid.... maybe ill just use the sata as storage.... and then have like a 300 gig as backup....

and ummm whats ghosting?

ghosting, as in making an image of your entire disk or partition using the program Norton Ghost.

you can also use Disk Image from Powerquest to make an image of your drive.

a disk image is like a snapshot of your system. when you restore the disk image, it overwrites everything, restoring the system to exactly like when you made that disk image.

ok... what about those harddrives with the "one button backup" or something like that.... or am i confusing something wiht something else?

I'm not familiar with those hard disks... sorry.

disk imaging is a good way to backup, but not always very practical, as you need to get out of windows to do it.

scheduling windows to make a back up every day is more practical.

the best would probably to do a mix of the two methods.

Yea I know the type of drives your talking about Stan, well at least 1 type of that. At work I had an HP backup type system where it backedup all data on the computer everytime you started the computer.

It does make a total copy of everything on the computer and it can be restored pretty easy but there is compatibility issues due to OS's. This was done in real time in windows.

There is 1 program that I've heard that can actually make a drive image in windows. Of course I don't remember it but it was talked about within the last week here in this section.

I used ghost recently and had to use it through dos. That was the ghost with Norton System Works 2003. Love that program has lots of goodies in there for helping to fix the system.

yea i have system works 2003... got it for 5 bucks :D so i have to use dos... maybe the maxtor with the one button thing will work... now just got to wait till christmas....

in regaurd to your other thread.... i want those 74 gig raptors :D

I think you can run a disk imaging program from within windows, but not to image the partition that windows is running on.

and I'd like a Raptor 73GB too! :D

Oks since you all want the Raptor, why don't yea buy me a couple test samples then I can make a report on it :D

Back