• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

+Ram = black screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skunk12

Hello,

I am new to he computer and overclock community. I have a working computer with 2x4gb ram in slot 1&3. I recently acquired 2x4gb ram of different speed. My understanding is if MB supports, then processor will use lower speed (thats fine).

When new ram is installed in slot 2&4, black screen (checked seating multiple times).:mad:

I remove ALL rams, test new in slot 1. Both work individually.

Test new in slot 1 &3 together, did not work.

Installed old back in 1 & 3, works.

What am I missing?:confused:

MB
1 x ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/

Old Ram
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model

New Ram
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

Regards,

Skunk

Try to use older memory in slots 1/3 and new in 2/4.

Check if you have latest BIOS. Latest is maybe not always best but maybe there is any memory compatibility fix.

Try to use MemOK button ( top right corner of the board next to memory slots ).

You can also clean memory pins or use condensed air to remove dust from memory slots. I'm not sure if it will help as you said that other sticks are working in all slots.

I'm having the same problem :( I have two 4gb g skills ripjaws 1600mhz and my friend gave me two 8gb g skills ripjaws 1600mhz so I put the two 8gb sticks in slots 2 and 4 and the old rams stays at 1 and 3. After I've inserted the new rams, I started the computer then 10 sec later, the computer turned off then 2 sec later, it turned back on by itself and after that the computer just kept running but with a blank black screen :(. Can somebody please help me with this?

Try running a mismatched pair, that is, put one of the old PC10666 modules in slot 1 and one of the new PC12800 modules in slot 3, to force both to run at PC10666 speed. That's worked for me a few times with DDR2 modules. It's possible the new modules were made with PC10666 chips that were factory overclocked.

What happens when you try both old DIMMs in slots 2 & 4?

I checked each stick individually to make sure they work, then each slot individually. Afterward old sticks were put back in 1 & 3 and new on 2 &4 it WORKED! :confused::shock::attn:

No idea how. Seating has to be the problem.

So if you think you've tested the seat enough times, try a few more....

I've tried putting the old sticks in slots 2 and 4 but still doesn't help :(
That's not the same thing. Try a new stick in slot 2 and an old stick in slot 4. If that works, replace the new stick with the other new stick. If both new sticks work that way, then the likely problem is that the new sticks were overclocked too much by G.Skill. You should repeat the same test, only with slots #1 and #3.

Back