• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Cooling requied?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maculosa

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a new member.
Last time a build a computer it was from 12 years old, now i'm buildling a new one and i already have all parts. just need to do the assembly.

Here is it:

Case: Lian li O11D XL
Fans: Antec Prizm 120mm (3x side(intake), 1x back and 3x top (Exhaust))
CPU: Amd Ryzen 3800X
CPU Cooler: Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4500 mhz CL19-19-19-39 @ 1.45v.
Video Card: Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+
Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2To + 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512 gb.
Powersupply: Corsair RM850X

My RAM Modules come with a Ram cooler, (Vengeance Airflow) The thing is that i can't install it because of my large CPU Cooler, is that RAM Cooler requied?
Can i safely run the ram without the cooler?

Also for the ram i'm planning to underclock it to 3733 or 3600 mhz with lower timing.

Thanks and sorry for my english.

You can run them without the fans. They are pretty much just a marketing gimmick and for aesthetics. Good case airflow will keep your ram plenty cool.

RAM doesn't need cooling.

I hope that ram works on your system. If you plan on running at the 3600/3733, just grab some 3600 sticks. You'll save money that way and have less hassle trying to get your current sticks to work.

RAM doesn't need cooling.

I hope that ram works on your system. If you plan on running at the 3600/3733, just grab some 3600 sticks. You'll save money that way and have less hassle trying to get your current sticks to work.

I already have the ram. (System not assembled yet) i got that ram because i got it at a good price. (around 145$ us) but yes i hope it will work.
My MSI Motherboard should have good ram compatibility so i have good hopes :)

It's Ryzen... not known for RAM compatibility. :p

It will take some tweaking to get those sticks there. If you are not prepared to do so, consider returning them...regardless of the deal. If you hang on to them, let us know if you run into any issues!

It's Ryzen... not known for RAM compatibility. :p

It will take some tweaking to get those sticks there. If you are not prepared to do so, consider returning them...regardless of the deal. If you hang on to them, let us know if you run into any issues!

I will try them for sure before returning, i will let you know how it turn out.
I will mostly need your help since i'm not a computer expert, i can build the computer but i have no knowlegde about overclocking and such.

I doubt if you will be able to get the RAM to run at the full 4500 mhz and, because of the architecture, there may actually be a performance hit with the new Ryzen CPUs when running memory above about 3600 mhz. 3600 mhz is considered the buying target sweet spot.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-3000-memory-overclocking-sweet-spot

If you can't return your current memory you will likely have to run it at a slower than its XMP rated speed.

The other thing I wanted to say is I doubt you will get much overclock of that chip on the listed cooler in your first post. In fact, with Ryzen 2, the returns from overclocking are mighty minimal since the chips are binned high from the factory.

I doubt if you will be able to get the RAM to run at the full 4500 mhz and, because of the architecture, there may actually be a performance hit with the new Ryzen CPUs when running memory above about 3600 mhz. 3600 mhz is considered the buying target sweet spot.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-3000-memory-overclocking-sweet-spot

If you can't return your current memory you will likely have to run it at a slower than its XMP rated speed.

The other thing I wanted to say is I doubt you will get much overclock of that chip on the listed cooler in your first post. In fact, with Ryzen 2, the returns from overclocking are mighty minimal since the chips are binned high from the factory.

Like i said in another post, i'm not planning to run it a 4500 mhz, but underclock it to Ryzen Sweet Spot (3733/3600) but with tighter timing.
That was my plan, just hope it will work.

Gentlemen, we are getting ahead of ourselves here a bit. The RAM he has is listed with a base speed of only 2133 @ 15-15-15 1.2v. The 4500 CL19 is the overclocked speed. Assuming they are compatible with his MSI Unify he shouldn't see any issues overclocking it to the 3600/3733 he's looking for. Probably in the CL17 range I would venture to guess. Corsair source.

Capture.JPG

Most RAM's base speed is around there... the JEDEC spec - that is what a PC will boot to. 4500 MHz is rated speed for the sticks. It is only overclocking the IMC (not the sticks) to run them at 4500 MHz.

Surely those sticks will be able to run his 3600/3733 speeds we are not saying otherwise. It will just take tweaking and effort to get there. Whereas swapping it out for 3600 MHz sticks on the QVL is plug and play without tweaking/time/effort.

Looks like I need to learn something here.

The highest native speed on the SPD column for the MSI X570 Unify for Matisse-Ridge is 3466. So does that mean any 3600 sticks will require a setting change in BIOS? RAM generally boots to the SPD settings, right? It's been a while since I've even looked. LOL

RAM will boot to SPD/JEDEC settings, yep! Typically 2133/2400. XMP/DOCP/A-XMP is a profile on the sticks which they are rated to run at. Max platform spec for Zen 2 is 3200 MHz. Anything past that is overclocking the IMC on the CPU. The specs for the board say:

3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Processors support DDR4 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200 Mhz by JEDEC, and 2667/ 2800 /2933 /3000 /3066 /3200 /3466 /3600/ 3733 /3866 /4000 /4133 /4266 /4400 /4533 /4600 Mhz by A-XMP OC MODE

This board has a memory multiplier that high, however, he would have lose the 1:1 memory ratio to get that high, and frankly, it isn't worth it in most cases. I see the memory compatibility list shows SPD at 3466... those sticks will boot directly to 3466 since that is the SPD rating.

In short, the sticks he has will boot to 2133, then he would have to manually tweak the speed/timings/voltage to reach 3600/3733 and the desired 1:1 ratio.

OK, I'm totally lost, maybe i should have just bought 3600 ram CL18 (Cheap) and don't worry about clocking... I will seriously need help if i have to do tweaking.

I tought i would just had to use the Amd DRAM Calculator, maybe using the Fast setting to get lower latency, ajust the settings in bios, test the ram for stability and i'm good to go... but it look like it will not be the case.
And i tought since 3600 CL18 are cheap, if i can't get better than CL17 from this ram it's not really worth it, i tought it could easily get at least Cl16 or lower at 3600 mhz.

OK, I'm totally lost, maybe i should have just bought 3600 ram CL18 (Cheap) and don't worry about clocking... I will seriously need help if i have to do tweaking.

I tought i would just had to use the Amd DRAM Calculator, maybe using the Fast setting to get lower latency, ajust the settings in bios, test the ram for stability and i'm good to go... but it look like it will not be the case.
And i tought since 3600 CL18 are cheap, if i can't get better than CL17 from this ram it's not really worth it, i tought it could easily get at least Cl16 or lower at 3600 mhz.
the dram calculator can help and may work first try... no guarantees though and some additional tweaking may be necessary.

RAM will boot to SPD/JEDEC settings, yep! Typically 2133/2400. XMP/DOCP/A-XMP is a profile on the sticks which they are rated to run at. Max platform spec for Zen 2 is 3200 MHz. Anything past that is overclocking the IMC on the CPU. The specs for the board say:

This board has a memory multiplier that high, however, he would have lose the 1:1 memory ratio to get that high, and frankly, it isn't worth it in most cases. I see the memory compatibility list shows SPD at 3466... those sticks will boot directly to 3466 since that is the SPD rating.

In short, the sticks he has will boot to 2133, then he would have to manually tweak the speed/timings/voltage to reach 3600/3733 and the desired 1:1 ratio.

That's an excellent explanation. Thank you. That's what I was thinking but now understand the "why" it does what it does.

The point I was getting at (albeit the long road) is that even if you had bought the 3600mhz ram you would still need to make an adjustment in the BIOS. This is not a difficult task at all and we are here to help you along the way, it's what we do.

What is the essential software needed to overclock and test and benchmark ram?

AMD DRAM Calculator, CPUZ? Anything else?

There are a few out there and which is the best is debatable, however, a few that are useful are:

Monitoring programs
Cpu-Z
HWMonitor
HWInfo64

Overclocking software
AMD DRAM Calculator (I'm still new to this one)
AMD Ryzen Master
AMD Overdrive (not sure about ram overclocking on new gen)

Stress testing
AIDA64 Engineer (also monitors)
Prime95

Personal note: I don't overclock ram using software as it's usually not as stable as BIOS overclocking. The functionality is exactly the same and most modern BIOS' are as user friendly now as after market software.

FYI, Zen 2 (3xxx) will lower the Infinity Fabric ratio if the memory speed is above 1800 MHz actual (3600 MHz DDR). The Infinity Fabric is run at a 1:1 ratio up to 3600 MHz DDR, and for clocks a little over that most boards will let you manually set it at 1:1 . So at 3733 MHz you could actually lose some overall performance if the IF ratio isn't raised manually. Maybe not enough to matter but if "good enough" were the goal we wouldn't be hanging around OCF. :D

For earlier Zen chips that get unstable above 3600 MHz you should be able to lower the ratio, but I'm not very up on that.

Taiphoon burner to determine the IC on those modules (or some could probably tell you by rating alone), which will be needed to plug into the calculator. I haven't had the best luck with the calculator, and neither have a number of other people here. It can give you a starting point, but so can the board's auto settings. Really you'll just need to adjust the primary timings, voltage and clock speed for a manual memory OC. It won't be plug and play but I don't think it will be that difficult.

Back