• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram errors with xmp but dram changed to proper speeds works fine? am i ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synthesize

Registered
i change dram to 3600hz my pc works(not sure if it's running proper even though task manage shows 3600hz and icue shows 1800) but was told changing dram frequency is actually worse and can cause problems, to only use xmp which won't work unless i do the below methods.

I ran 2 ram slots in dimma2 / dimmb2 with xmp works no errors instantly like with all 4, swapped the ram sticks too and fine.ran dimma2 / dimmb1 / dimmb2 / no errors again. swap around ram sticks to test, all fineran dimma1 solo, won't turn on pc. then dimma1 / dimmb1 still won't come on?? wth

ran all 4 slots, xmp won't work but dram change does.

why is it showing the proper ram in dimma1?but won't run ram in it solo or a1/b1 like it supposed to do? If my ram was bad,One of them would of gave me errors when switching them out when doing dimma2/dimmb1/ swap outs?along with dimma2/dimmb1/dimmb2 swap around, no issues with xmp...

so what do you people think?

Should I be able to boot up 1 piece of ram from any ram slot? because slot 1 alone wont work.

i can't change the timings like in xmp, only frequency? so idk?
18-22-22-42
default is 15-15-15-36...i can't tell if it's changing those when changing dram

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-CARBON-WIFI/Specification my mobo

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M4C3600C18 my ram

cpu is ryzen 5 5600x

Last edited:
I think I need more clear information. :)

1. What exact RAM do you have?
2. What, exactly, is the DRAM change you made?
3. What CPU is going in that motherboard?

One stick should work in a specific slot. Two should work in specific slots (the manual identifies the slots) as well. 4 sticks may require you to add some SOC voltage for stability. The more memory/slots you have the more voltage it takes to stabilize.

i did an edit on first post. i was told to change dram and check timing on cpuz. It's just very odd that 2/4 with swapping sticks works on xmp, and 2/3/4 works but 1 wont work or 1/3

edit ;; the timing shown in cpuz for dram frequency is correct too, just odd. so i guess i don't need to use xmp ? i don't know what's going on and why xmp is being hard on me when using all 4 but fine with 3? but ram slot 1 wont boot up the pc.

my fps in wow went from 400-500+ on day 1 of build to 200-220 fps all of a sudden after day 1, when checking cam on my games fps.

Last edited:
I think I need more clear information. :)

1. What exact RAM do you have?
2. What, exactly, is the DRAM change you made?
3. What CPU is going in that motherboard?

One stick should work in a specific slot. Two should work in specific slots (the manual identifies the slots) as well. 4 sticks may require you to add some SOC voltage for stability. The more memory/slots you have the more voltage it takes to stabilize.

didnt think i quoted you, check the post above i edited it

if you have discord add me Brock#9984

Last edited:
With a single stick, I find it strange for a boot failure to occur.

DDR DIMMs don't require pairs like SIMMs in the 1990s did!

even for my mobo? i should test single boot for others? i was told it requires at least 2nd slot, but tried 1/2 slot and wouldn't boot....2/4 boots and 2/3/4 boots but 1 doesn't. my dram freq matches my timings when set at 3600mhz tho which is odd with no errors but xmp does? just staggers the **** out of me and for a pc that costed me 3k, i want it to have no faulty parts. oh but 1/2/3/4 xmp wont work but change dram freq does and shows 32gb of ram too? just wat the hellll is going on @.@!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://streamable.com/lf3xub is a clip of my pc.

our manual tells you which slots to put things in. Typically dual slots is slot 2/4 working away from the cpu.

I domt know about your testing, but as I said, running 4 sticks for 32GB, you're likely going to need to add SOC voltage for the stick count/capacity to run at those speeds.

Did you update your bios to the latest version?

updated bios and reinstalled windows. ill did a hcl memtest pro last night b4 this and no errors on default settings for ram, gonna try tonight for dram 3600hz then try xmp again with new bios update. idk im willing to test swapping mobos or ram but both might be too much.

our manual tells you which slots to put things in. Typically dual slots is slot 2/4 working away from the cpu.

I domt know about your testing, but as I said, running 4 sticks for 32GB, you're likely going to need to add SOC voltage for the stick count/capacity to run at those speeds.

Did you update your bios to the latest version?

22 errors
dram freq settings
bad ram? or try to adjust voltage ? zero errors on default settings....or rma for new set? edit ;; was told to try 1.4v on voltage. sucks, this hcl memtest pro, idk how long to exactly run it, i run it all night for 10 hours ish..i guess i'll run it now for 2 hrs while watching a movie, it does the test while im on the desktop, suppose to turn off all applications

ill try long hcl test with 2x ram tonight

also with my dram change, that i thought was working fine, i did get maybe once a day an issue when trying to click aora engine and then i couldn't click any programs or restart or shutdown, didnt know if that just a normal issue that happens once in a while but probably was my ram.

wondering how to decide if my ram is messed up of my motherboard ><...getting rma on both would be awful

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/68MbfP my pc

Last edited:
got new ram today, seems like i ran a quick test which gives me errors in 1 min and by the end had no errors. guessin the old ram was defective.

Back