• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM: G.Skill Trident X @ ASUS Rampage IV Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxMads

Hey Overclockers.

Will these RAM dimms:

http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/16gbgskillpc319200tridentx2400mhzquadkit.html

run on this motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_FormulaBATTLEFIELD_3/#specifications

I'm asking you guys this because i've read that the motherboard itself dosent support over PC12800 RAM dimms, but yet i was told to be running 2400mhz dimms on the board?

Please help and explain to me why or why not these ram dimms will/wont work on this board.

Yes, they will work. Whether they will work at their rated speed or not depends on your CPU's memory controller. I have a 3960X with a less than stellar controller that won't run DDR3-2400. If your IMC isn't capable, you can always run the DIMMS at lower speed with tighter timings.

FWIW, you can get that kit $25 cheaper and with free shipping at Newegg.

Ok so with the following setup:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Hydro Copper
CPU: Intel® Core i7-3930K Processor
CASE: Corsair 650d
PSU: Corsair AX750w Gold Plus Modular

GPU & CPU custom cooled.

These ram should work at a decent speed?

Yes, it should. There is a decent chance it will work by just plugging in the XMP profile; but don't be upset if it doesn't. SNB-E memory controllers aren't as strong as IVB controllers, for which this memory was made. I'm running the 32GB set of these on a Rampage IV Extreme with a 3960X, just at 2133 / 9-11-11-31 (photo).

Well, with modern CPUs, almost all of which have on-board IMCs (integrated memory controllers), the capability mostly rests on the quality of the IMC on your CPU, not on the motherboard. Some boards do have better designed tracing (think Z77 boards rated for DDR3-2666+) to shield the memory bus allowing for higher frequencies. However, while the board may make a slight difference, most of the difference is going to be your IMC.

To give a real-world example, check out this TridentX DDR3-2666 review. The Maximus V GENE is only 'rated' for DDR3-2666, but ran DDR3-2800 just fine. That's the heart of overclocking after all - running things past their rated speeds. Just because it's not listed in the motherboard's specification doesn't mean it won't run there. I've seen several Rampage IV boards running DDR3-2400...but they had chips with good IMCs.

Truth be told, unless you're benchmarking, in daily use you won't be able to tell much difference between high latency, high speed kits like the TridentX and lower latency DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866 kits.

Back