• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram help...OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've read multiple articles saying AMD APUs' gaming performance increases with faster ram frequencies. But so far I get the best framerates with stock BOIS settings. I'm using Farcry 2's benchmarking tool by the way, it takes the shortest amount of time to open up

I would try to use a variety of benchmarks as different ones like different things.

APU/IGP memory = system memory so in theory higher bandwidth should make it faster.
I would recommend to get some quick memory test like maxxmem and compare different memory settings like lower clock and tighter timings and higher clock with looser timings.
In maxxmem look on memory read and copy transfers as from my experience they are affecting 3D results more than write transfers.
Just guessing that 1866 on tighter timings will give you best results but I don't have APU so I can't confirm that.

Can someone link me to somewhere that'll explain how to do that? Or can someone just tell me what all of those options in my bios mean so I can figure it out myself?

Can someone link me to somewhere that'll explain how to do that? Or can someone just tell me what all of those options in my bios mean so I can figure it out myself?

If you will take digital camera pics of your bios that have to do with memory speed and timings we could help you more specifically. There is a built in forum tool for attaching pics with your post. Click on the Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced window. This will cause the file browser/upload tool to pop up and the rest will be obvious.

In general, you will need to take the relevant bios settings off of Auto and set them to Manual in order to change these values. Memory controls in bios may not use the term Memory but DRAM.

As far as timings, go you will generally see 15- 20 separate adjustments in bios once you take it off of Auto but only the ones you see displayed in the CPU-z SPD tab or Memory tab need to be adjusted. They are usually the first four or five listed and then one near the bottom called CR (Command Rate). The rest can be left on Auto as they are not significant.

I already posted pics, last page. Also, on a side note, I just raised my base clock to 115, so I'm running at 3450mhz now, and I'm still idling at 0 degrees on stock cooling :D

If you show 0 degrees at idle, it's likely you have core unlocking turned on.

I already posted pics, last page. Also, on a side note, I just raised my base clock to 115, so I'm running at 3450mhz now, and I'm still idling at 0 degrees on stock cooling :D

Yes, sorry, you did post pics earlier. As you can see, those timing lines are on Auto. The ones you want to change you take off Auto and either type in the value you want or use "+" or "-" keys most likely.

What do you mean about my core unlocking?
And I have no idea of what I'd want to change those values to...

When we see core temp values of "0" it generally means someone has enabled the core unlock feature in the bios. Doing so interferes with the ability to read core temps. Some prodcut lines of AMD CPUs have cores that are locked at the factory and marketed as a lesser CPU. For instance, an Athlon II starts life as a four core CPU at the manufacturing plant but one of the cores is slightly out of spec so they disable it to make it an X3 instead of an X4. A lot of motherboards have a bios feature that enables the consumer to unlock that fourth core. Often its called ACC (Advanced Clock Calibration) but may be called something else. Sometimes the cores are so close to spec that they are viable when you unlock them and sometimes they aren't but in any case if you activate this feature in bios you use the ability to monitor core temps. A lot of noobs don't understand that not all AMD CPU product lines have locked cores and they turn they enable that feature in bios because they want to unlock cores. If their CPU doesn't have any cores to unlock, of course it does not good and in the process they loose the ability to monitor core temps. I do not know if Llano CPUs sometimes have locked cores or even the motherboards for them have this feature but that's what came to my mind because we see this all the time with other AMD CPU product lines here on the forum.

My temps aren't stuck at 0, they just hit zero when I'm not doing anything.

Back