• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM installation HELP :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ComputerNewbie8

Registered
I recently purchased two 8gb g skills ripjaws rams 1600mhz and my old ones were two 4gb g skills ripjaws rams 1600mhz. My old rams were inserted in slots 1 and 3 so I inserted the new ones in slots 2 and 4. After I've inserted the two new rams, I turned on the computer, then 10 sec later, it turned back off, then 2 sec later, it turned back on itself and after that, the computer just kept running but the screen is black showing nothing...Can someone please help me with this? :(

Yes, try that first. Then you need to comapre the old vs. new for consistent timings and voltage ratings if you plan to run all of them together.

What motherboard do you have?? Try removing all the memory from the system and clearing CMOS. Then install the new sticks and try again.

If you have the manual that came with the board, all that info is in there. If you don't have it let me know and I'll elaborate further.

Oh this one, I've done this already. I swapped the thing to the last two pins and waited 10 sec then swapped it back. After that, I turned on the pc but it's still the same..

Try just one of the new modules in the slot closest to the CPU, see if it will boot up with just one installed.

Well, if that don't work then I'd say the memory probably isn't compatible with the motherboard. The only other thing I can think of is to put your old memory back in, then flash the motherboard BIOS to the latest version. Maybe a newer BIOS version will allow the new stuff to work.

You can try putting the old sticks in, setting the timings and voltage manually for the new sticks, save and reboot out of the bios (F10), then power off and put the new sticks in and see if that works...

What EXACTLY are the sticks you have? Can you link to them?

Ok, but how do I get the BIOS to the latest version?
That is in the manual as well. Take a gander, and like before, if you need help, post back.

You have to flash it. Again, the manual should have all the information on flashing. You'll need to go to the ASUS website and download the latest version. Page 3.8.1 has the EZ Flash instructions.

Back