• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM no longer boots with XMP profile after upgrading video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, I'll never call using XMP overclocking the ram sticks. :)
XMP is not overclocking the tested speed of the ram sticks, I agree. I'm just saying the memory stick manufactures overclock the ICs with voltage 1.35-1.5v and one month of binning like silicon lottery. Intel and AMD don't overclock the processors there binned to a more accurate processes.

Example my silicon lottery 5.0GHz i7 9700k would do stock turbo at 4.9GHz prime95 and at 5.0 GHz windows 10 crashed all the time at suggested 1.350V. Maybe my motherboard was a problem. However, if it was Intel's tolerances at 5.0GHz instead of 4.9GHz it would of run at 5.0GHz speed on any motherboard without crashing windows 10.

I put the G.Skill FlareX in a few hours ago and have been running MemTest, and it seems to be stable at XMP settings. Back in my day, memory just worked on both Intel and AMD. Haha, well, now I know to look on the RAM Manufacturer's site for compatibility, instead of on the motherboard manufacturer's. As for how the old sticks ended up this way, I can only speculate that the small amount of instability over time caused gradual damage to the chips, which eventually culminated in complete instability.

And these do indeed appear to be Hynix A-dies, but at least they're stable, and at a much higher speed than the Kingstons ever were.

Glad you got it sorted, this platform more than most is very sensitive to the RAM installed. Now that's figured out you can make that thing dance

I put the G.Skill FlareX in a few hours ago and have been running MemTest, and it seems to be stable at XMP settings. Back in my day, memory just worked on both Intel and AMD. Haha, well, now I know to look on the RAM Manufacturer's site for compatibility, instead of on the motherboard manufacturer's. As for how the old sticks ended up this way, I can only speculate that the small amount of instability over time caused gradual damage to the chips, which eventually culminated in complete instability.

And these do indeed appear to be Hynix A-dies, but at least they're stable, and at a much higher speed than the Kingstons ever were.

Glad you have good luck with memory speed and found out the other memory was not stable at 2400 speed. Good to see it was not your motherboard or processor and video card problem.

Wonderful news! Of all the things that went into my recent build, memory was the second most agonized over thing (and for such a small effect on performance). It really has become confusing and complicated. FWIW Most agonized was freesync vs gsync monitors and the cost thereof, and the card to go with. Then 2 months after my build nVidia supports freesync. Go figure lol.

Back