• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram oc - huge increase in 3dmark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ministras

Registered
Hi all, recently i overclocked my intel 2 core quad q9400 to 3.4 ghz and after testing it out on 3dmark vantage i got a score of 11840. Then after checking cpu-z i found out that my ram is running only at 425 mhz ( stock is 666), i changed it to 660 and left timings on auto, which i later change to same but manual. Now i got 14000 on 3dmark vantage. So my question would be why is it so? (i only used cpu test on 3dmark vantage). Usually overclocking ram only gets 2-5% increase in performance for other people.

Memory bandwidth is a big part of that platform, you just increased it by like 50% so yeah, it's going to communicate with your graphics card a whole hell of a lot faster, hence the +20% higher score. Good catch bro, now play around with those timings and I'm sure you can get 3.6ghz with a decent cooler ;)

Thanks for reply, but now i got the problem - some games crash with 660 mhz, but it passed prime95 for 1 hour. Should i downclock or fiddle with the timings?

can you give the type and model of ram please? probably be able to stable it out, assuming they're in spec, wiht just a bit more voltage (the default on the board is likely not what they're set to run at spec wise, so make sure they're at that or .05-.10 above for stability). 5-24 hours of prime is the real test, and of course, in the prime setting that is memory intensive, not cpu.

and you're welcome, and welcome!

Its a kingston ddr3 pc3-10700H (667MHz) 2GB? Also the timings at different speeds are (mhz-cl-trcd-trp-tras-voltage):
444mhz-6-6-6-16-1.5V
592mhz-8-8-8-22-1.5V
666mhz-9-9-9-24-1.5V
Hope it helps

Your RAM is rated at DDR3-1333 (667MHz x 2) and 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V. At the current FSB of 425MHz (425MHz x 8 = 3.4GHz), and without knowing the model of board, but assuming you have a 2:3 FSB : DRAM ratio option available, adjust the effective DRAM frequency to DDR3-1275 (or as close to DDR3-1333 as possible without going over) using the rated timings and voltage.

ah a ddr3 Core 2 system, gotchya: going to likely need to relax those timings and use 1.56 volts. Am I correct in assuming you have an asus board with ddr2 and ddr2 ram slots?

My mb is asus P5Q3_Deluxe, i paid a good deal of money for my system 4 years ago and at that time ddr3 was pretty expensive compared to now, so its a strange mix.

Btw about the problem: i was running 3.5 mhz before - it passed intel burn test, prime 12 hours, but in some games like i said it crashed(i thought it was ram). So i got back to 3.4, bumped rams as close to the stock settings again and it worked without having increased the dram voltage, so was my cpu at fault?

At 3.5 mhz i bumped ram voltage to 1.6 and it worked for most part until i got graphics driver crashed, so i got a little scared and got back to before.

Also i forgot to tell you that this is a first oc'ing for me so i may say some strange things, also thanks for reply

Back