• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Prices Are ILLEGALLY High? - Massive Lawsuit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've mentioned this in the other thread, but the whole reason as to the spike in price is because memory manufactures do not have manufacturing ability to create high demand of NAND and DRAM type memory. The "illegal price gouging" is just people upset that they have to spend more in a time of high demand and low production.

The production issues are being fixed. Two years ago the SSD market shot up and all the memory manufacturing companies switched from NAND to a 3D/2.5D stacked NAND chip which took up floor space in the DRAM factories. Now that DRAM demand has shot up (due to neglect, which could be a basis for lawsuit but frivolous in the end) we are in a rush point of manufactures trying to catch up. Which they have. Samsung, Hynix and Micron are all adding on to their factory capabilities to meet demands.

https://www.dramexchange.com/WeeklyResearch/Post/2/4908.html

76% YoY growth in DRAM since 2017. That's a **** ton thanks to mobile/car/IoT/accelerated procs have also shot up in production.

Is ran that expansive? I admit I miss out on ddr3, but I bought 16gb of 2133mhz ddr4 for about 100$ not long ago. I never thought I could get 16gb or ram anywhere close to that. I payed well over 100$ for 8gb of ram back in the ddr2 days.

How did you gather this information?

By using the chips themselves, they are still "B" die but slightly different. Both these IC are "B" die but behave very differently. Good, fast tight, K4A8G085WB-BCPB and the more affordable not so fast and tight K4A8G085WB-BCRC. The underlined portion is what indicates it's "B" die Samsung IC

i mean... 16gb of decent ram costs more than an i5-8400 cpu. that's what mostly put me off from going to a ddr4 system when i HAD the money. just not buying it will bring the price down duuurrrr im not going to threaten a damn lawsuit over it.

I just picked up a couple 2 GB sticks of DDR3 1333 9-9-9 for $20 from Amazon for a benching rig I'm putting together. On a 990FX Sabertooth it will hit 1600 MHz and it will tighten up to 8-8-8, but I didn't test stability because that's not why I got it. And it's Nanya ICs. Not everybody needs Trident Z DDR4 3200 14-14-14. Although, $80 for 8 GB of DDR4 2400 on Amazon is kinda high.

The good old days! At the time I purchased this kit I thought it was overpriced but now the same kit is $379 and went as high as $459!

978359A3-70F2-4259-87D7-C40B9CD6179D.jpeg

How did you gather this information?

I test a lot. I don't read stuff in the web and repost it later ( don't even have time for that ). Right now I have 3 new memory kits for tests and 1 more on the way. You can find random results around the forums like 3733 in quad channel on new Microns/AMD TR.
I also test some at work and I have direct contact with memory manufacturers. Not everything what I'm testing is published.

Re Samsung B which is not overclocking good, you can find info on the front page in Johan's review. He already said what is the difference in IC numbers.

People complain about the prices in US but in EU there is +tax+additional costs like couple of distributors that take their % + shipping costs. Mentioned in last post 3000 C14 kit costs about $60 more in Poland.

March 2016 :

Now :

People complain about the prices in US but in EU there is +tax+additional costs like couple of distributors that take their % + shipping costs. Mentioned in last post 3000 C14 kit costs about $60 more in Poland.

In the UK you have everything included and Amazon for example is a blessing of free deliveries if you get Prime :D

Last edited by a moderator:
In the UK you have everything included and Amazon for example is a blessing of free deliveries if you get Prime :D

Amazon UK is s bit more expensive than Amazon DE. I have Amazon PL near my town but still have to order in Germany and all comes from Germany.
I had free Prime for a month and took it just because I wanted to buy 1920X TR. I won't pay for it as it randomly freezes, part of movies is available in German only or many TV series are limited to 1-2 seasons and if you want more then pay twice as much. There were more reasons but it's not the thread for that.
So Amazon promo + Prime + free shipping - bank calculation for paying in EUR = about ~$120 cheaper :) ... and it was couple of days after TR price drops so comparing to about a week before drops, I paid ~40% less for this CPU.

2 days ago I got 4133 C18 Team Xtreem kit, it cost me ~$300 in local store ( that includes 23% tax+shipping ). It's not much more than 3200 CL14 cost in most stores.

Most of my build was shipped from Germany (bought on Amazon UK), I remember the Strix 980ti especially took a couple more days then the rest of the parts to get through customs.

RAM prices have always been volatile. Check here: https://jcmit.net/memoryprice.htm

In 1988 there was some kinda trade issue that bumped prices way up. You'll see a big bump in 1993-1994, from a factory fire or explosion IIRC. There was some kind of shortage or issue in 1999 as well, though not as lasting or severe as some of the others. Late 2009, same deal, prices almost doubled from their previous low. Late 2013 and early 2014 were more expensive than 2012. Now? We're in just another RAM 'shortage,' and this one will pass too. If you can avoid buying now, do so. In two years, we'll see 16GB sticks for $50.

In 2 years we will have double capacity in the same price. The same as it was with every DDR generation.
I remember when I got 2x512MB DDR1 kit for ~$250. When it died 4 years later I got money back and could buy 2x2GB from top series for about the same. First DDR3 which I bought cost me about $300 and it was 3x1GB kit. First DDR4 I got for review ... actually next 2 or 3 too but then 4x4GB cost also about $300. Later prices went down a bit ... and now if you want good 2x8GB kit then you have to pay ~$300 ... while average 2x16GB cost almost as much.
We can complain but prices, at least for popular memory capacity, stay at about the same level.

Overclockers can complain as couple of years ago they could buy cheap memory series and find there good IC. Now good IC for overclocking is usually in more expensive kits because of 'shortage'. When capacity will go up then it's not guaranteed there will be any good IC for overclocking ( the same as it was with 2GB DDR2 or 8GB DDR3 modules ).

the average joe isnt going to influence anything. mayyyybe if a ton of people join the lawsuit but not likely. its the big pc companies that will push this along(IF it goes anywhere). they will claim it cost them such and such amount more per pc to build because of the price fixing. the same thing they did the last class action law suit(in 2006, i forget). if dell, hp etc join in then things may move forward with the lawsuit. the big four basically agreed to a settlement then but i doubt they will this time.

edit- im pretty sure samsung c die were supposed to come out this year but i forget when exactly.

The current shortage of GDDR5 and GDDR5X affecting GPU prices and availability is due to them being based on DDR3 cells. Since PCs and laptops have moved on to DDR4, a lot DDR3 fabs have been or are being retooled to DDR4 standard. This limits the amount of GDDR5 and GDDR5X that can be produced so it would be nice for GDDR6 to get going. But you'll have to wait for the next gen GPUs for that to happen. So there are lots of intertwining situations to consider here and the lawsuit is frivolous and a waste of time for everyone except the lawyers.

I thought the whole EU thing was supposed to make everyone just one big fappy hamily?

For most things yes, I don’t know how it affects mail exactly since this is Amazon, but I remember before the EU something like this would take a week or more to cross borders, now it took 3 days (most of the stuff was next day delivery) [emoji20]

Personally, I haven't seen any customs activity in EU in last years and I get various stuff from couple of countries, sometimes 1-2 times per month. Most come to me in 1-2 days from UK, Germany or Netherlands. Customs check everything from outside of EU.
Last package from UK arrived in 2 days, last one from Germany in 1 day. Customs wouldn't have time to check that.

Back