• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matthew1990

Hi all,

I have a relatively new build and am trying to finalise optimal RAM settings. Needless to say this is my first build and require as much help as possible.
(Nothing OC'ed.. yet)

Parts are as follows:
CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM - G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage - Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200rpm HD
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card
PSU - Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I use this computer primarily for gaming and don't video edit etc. I have set my RAM in the BIOS to 1866 and XMP profile 1. Using CPU-Z my DRAM frequency is 933MHz, 10-11-10-30, 2T. It is currently set up as dual channel.
Are those settings optimal?

I understand changing the command rate to 1T will give me better results in benchmarking, is it worth it in everyday gaming though?

Other settings, "fast boot mode", "enhanced performance mode", should I worry with these?

Finally, channel and bank interleaving. They are currently set to "Auto" in BIOS, do I enable them?

Let me know if I've left anything out, and thank you in advance,
Matt .

I use this computer primarily for gaming and don't video edit etc. I have set my RAM in the BIOS to 1866 and XMP profile 1. Using CPU-Z my DRAM frequency is 933MHz, 10-11-10-30, 2T. It is currently set up as dual channel.
Are those settings optimal?
This is correct it is fine just like this.
I understand changing the command rate to 1T will give me better results in benchmarking, is it worth it in everyday gaming though?
You may see better result if you run 1t but only if like you said, benchmarking or actually recording your FPS while gaming. It's not necessary though and could cause instability.
Other settings, "fast boot mode", "enhanced performance mode", should I worry with these?
I normally do not put my rigs in fast boot mode and do not know what "Enhanced Performance mode" does due to not owning a Intel board from Gigabyte.
Finally, channel and bank interleaving. They are currently set to "Auto" in BIOS, do I enable them?

Let me know if I've left anything out, and thank you in advance,
Matt .
Leave them them on Auto.

Thanks for the quick reply. Okay will do.
Just checked stats after benchmarking, (Fire Strike), and it said my memory, module 1 and module 2 were at 667MHz.
As I said earlier, CPU-Z says 933.2MHz.
Which is correct?
Thanks,
Matt.

I know that Futuremark's system info will quite often report base speed for hardware not the actual speed.

Thanks for the quick reply. Okay will do.
Just checked stats after benchmarking, (Fire Strike), and it said my memory, module 1 and module 2 were at 667MHz.
As I said earlier, CPU-Z says 933.2MHz.
Which is correct?
Thanks,
Matt.
Post a screen shot of Cpu-Z Spd and Memory tabs for us. Though if Cpu-Z is reading 933 you're Ram is set at 1866 like it should be. You can use the "Inset Image" icon 3rd from the right to host pictures.
Capture4.PNG

If you look at the Spd tab where it says Max Bandwidth "PC3-10700 (667] MHZ" that is what Futuremark is picking up. You're set at 1866 so no worries.

Back