• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram timing SPD different from sticker on ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JJG

I bought some G.Skill RipJaws X ( F3-12800CL7D-8GBXM ), on the box the ram timings are CL7-8-8-24 1.5v, the SPD says 7-9-9-25 1.5v. what do i set the timings at !?! :confused:

In this case use XMP profile or set timings manually. SPD settings are made for compatibility and are usually set lower than timings or clocks on sticker.

Your board can also read profiles wrong what depends from supported XMP version ( don't know what board you have ).

In both cases best is to set main timings manually like you have on sticker.

In this case use XMP profile or set timings manually. SPD settings are made for compatibility and are usually set lower than timings or clocks on sticker.

Your board can also read profiles wrong what depends from supported XMP version ( don't know what board you have ).

In both cases best is to set main timings manually like you have on sticker.

Can I ask a question... A couple days ago I was having problems running Prime 95, it failed after one or two passes as random cores had rounding errors. I made tests then, removing one stick (fail again), then removing the other to reseat both, after which both P95 and ITB ran blend and extreme tests without fail. I didn't understand then why it was failing as I was not overclocked, but blamed it on bad RAM install anyway.

Now tonight I realized that my RAM was back at 1333 in BIOS and CPU-Z, which made me remember that I did change it prior to running these failed tests to 1600 as they should be in BIOS. Investigating why my 1600 was seen at default at 1333 I stubled upon SPD and understood what happened : I had changed the frequency in BIOS but not the timings, which made me fail the burning tests, and reseating both RAM restored default settings in BIOS, hence why subsequent torture tests ran without problem...

Reading your advice, I wonder, will I pass these tests if I set both frequency and timings to the "label specs"? Or is this gonna make the system unstable, as there are also many other values in DRAM settings that will still be at default 1333? I mean, you know, these secondary and third timings and associated values?

the only way to see is set the timing and run the test, i think i figured out my problem. the voltage for my ram was set to 1.5v, but the voltage at the ram was around 1.485. i bumped up the voltage to get at the right level and havent had any falures since.

Yeah I know... it was definitely bad RAM install, because I can run torture tests at stock clock AND overclocked @ 4.5GHz with both timings : the default 10-10-10-27 @ 1600, and also the default 9-9-9-24 @ 1333, but that I can use without problem @ 1600. For now I kept the stock timings with CAS 10. When my 4.8 OC will be fully stable I'll put it back to CAS 9 to run some more tests...

Back