• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Upgrade...12GB to 24GB???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reddragon

Registered
Hey whats good people?? Would upgrading my RAM from 12GB to 24GB make much of a difference as far as performance goes with 3d modeling, like maya, 3dsmax, autocad, and in games, Cysis3, Battlefield 3....

Current System Specs:
Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel i7 950 @ 3.2Ghz
Corsair xms3 ddr3 xmp 1600mhz 12GB
Asus GTX 560 ti (SLI) Asus GTX 560 ti
Asus GTX 550 ti (Physics)
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W PSU

its hard to say Ive never monitored the ram usage while rendering, or molding but I do lag at points while using zbrush and an occasional detailed rendering in games and programs, was wondering if the ram would help since im not ready to upgrade to the 4gb gtx 670's or 680's

Last edited:
no, does your computer use the 12gb you have now like, if your running task manager is it full, or very close.

I understood the question, when doing nothing like right now Im using 3.1GB of RAM and when I did a couple a high res renderings in maya, 3dsmax, zbrush, and tested in games it jumps around from 8.5GBS to 10GBS being used....so no not quite but I didn't grind away at it for hours like I usually do

Well, grind away and see. Seems like you are 2GB under, but not sure if usage will go up. You know your use if you look, so test it out. And if you are worried, get MOAR!

I understood the question, when doing nothing like right now Im using 3.1GB of RAM and when I did a couple a high res renderings in maya, 3dsmax, zbrush, and tested in games it jumps around from 8.5GBS to 10GBS being used....so no not quite but I didn't grind away at it for hours like I usually do

Last edited by reddragon; Today at 04:19 PM. Reason: miss understood question

nice edit.. but if you are using all of your ram go for it, it should help.

Last edited:
I have a related question, why is RAM in triple channel (2,4,6,12GB sizes) getting harder to find?

Patriot doesn't make any of these kits, and other companies have seemingly dwindling choices...

Is the other RAM more common? the 8,16,32 GB (Quad Channel?) Is it better somehow, which is why triple channel would be fading out?

The memory bandwidth triple and quad channel brings for most users mean nothing. Bandwidth isn't starved.

Think of it as a hose and water flowing through it. Say you have a garden hose (dual channel) that can handle over 3gpm flow hooked up to a faucet(cpu). That faucet flows water(data) at 1gpm. If you put a firehouse(quad ch) on that faucet with the same flow rate, will you get more water through it or will it be the same? (Same)

I have a related question, why is RAM in triple channel (2,4,6,12GB sizes) getting harder to find?

Patriot doesn't make any of these kits, and other companies have seemingly dwindling choices...

Is the other RAM more common? the 8,16,32 GB (Quad Channel?) Is it better somehow, which is why triple channel would be fading out?

Because the only platform (that I am aware of) that used triple channel memory was socket1366 which is/has been end of life for a bit now.

So with all that said, a few months after I build my system the 2011 x79 platform came out running quad channel memory and so forth with the pci express 3.0 ect is there really that much of a performance increase from say a x79 system equivalent to mine x58 system, with the same or equal graphics power, because then its no contest.

Current System Specs:
Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel i7 950 @ 3.2Ghz

So with all that said, a few months after I build my system the 2011 x79 platform came out running quad channel memory and so forth with the pci express 3.0 ect is there really that much of a performance increase from say a x79 system equivalent to mine x58 system, with the same or equal graphics power, because then its no contest.

Current System Specs:
Asus Sabertooth X58
Intel i7 950 @ 3.2Ghz
Nope. The difference is in the CPU, not in the memory bandwidth. PCIe3 is about 1% difference with a 680/7970. ;)

Back