• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Upgrade - DIfferent timings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theta1

Hello First time posting long time viewer. Got a technical question hopefully someone will be able to assist me with.

I have a Asus P5k-E Mobo running a 4GB Dual channel kit for the past 3 years. Recently while running Vista 64bit (don't judge me!) I experienced BSOD. I'm not a complete computer wiz but I do understand the basics. I did a memtest and windows memory diagnostic and found out I had faulty ram.

I have a warranty with the manufacturer and a RMA is in the works but I need to send both sticks to complete the warranty. In light of this I need to purchase new ram in the meantime but I want this new ram to compatible with the old when I get it back. I understand mixing Ram is a bad idea and I should try to stick with same size brand/timings but this is high performance ram that is out of production and no where to find. What options do I have?

The old faulty Kit is a Patriot Viper Series DDR2-6400 800MHZ 4GB kit (2x2GB). Built for Timings of 4-4-4-12 @2.2V.

Another thing is that I've never intentionally over-clocked it and I set the Bios to AUTO settings so its been running at 1.8V @ 5-5-5-12 All this time.

Would anyone be able to suggest a similar 4GB kit to match this current one? Also what would happen if I mixed another dual channel kit that clocks at 5-5-5-18 @1.8v, would my bios on auto match the slower ram?

Any insight is greatly appricaited. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't recommend mixing RAM of different timings or voltages. BIOSes are notoriously bad for getting the RAM timings and voltages wrong when set on auto, so make sure you always manually enter the timings and voltages into the BIOS as per what is written on the RAM.

Hello First time posting long time viewer. Got a technical question hopefully someone will be able to assist me with.

I have a Asus P5k-E Mobo running a 4GB Dual channel kit for the past 3 years. Recently while running Vista 64bit (don't judge me!) I experienced BSOD. I'm not a complete computer wiz but I do understand the basics. I did a memtest and windows memory diagnostic and found out I had faulty ram.

I have a warranty with the manufacturer and a RMA is in the works but I need to send both sticks to complete the warranty. In light of this I need to purchase new ram in the meantime but I want this new ram to compatible with the old when I get it back. I understand mixing Ram is a bad idea and I should try to stick with same size brand/timings but this is high performance ram that is out of production and no where to find. What options do I have?

The old faulty Kit is a Patriot Viper Series DDR2-6400 800MHZ 4GB kit (2x2GB). Built for Timings of 4-4-4-12 @2.2V.

Another thing is that I've never intentionally over-clocked it and I set the Bios to AUTO settings so its been running at 1.8V @ 5-5-5-12 All this time.

Would anyone be able to suggest a similar 4GB kit to match this current one? Also what would happen if I mixed another dual channel kit that clocks at 5-5-5-18 @1.8v, would my bios on auto match the slower ram?

Any insight is greatly appricaited. Thanks in advance.

Probably you will be able to run 2 kits on 800 5-5-5-x 1.8V but on higher chipset voltage. Problem can be only with mobo because not all mainboards like 4 sticks and especially on other chips.
No matter what brand ... chips and spd are most important ( and thats sometimes hard to check ) but you can ask support what ram you get from rma and try to buy the same ( I doubt that there is lot of versions now ). If not then look for something 800 5-5-5-18 1.8V or 800 4-4-4-12 up to 2.2V or 1066 5-5-5-x up to 2.2V ( can always set lower clock/timings).
If board sets something wrong ( usually is reading 1st stick info ) then you can always correct some timings manually.
I can only say that you have about 90% chances that it will work but nothing is guaranteed. A lot depends from your board.

You should be able to get it to work, like Woomack said you mayb have to bump the chipset voltage up a bit. I would even say bump your vdimm up a hair too, and it should be good :cool:

If you're not overclocking mixing RAM is much less of a concern. Find another kit that has the same rated speeds and timings, make sure you set the speed and timings manually in the BIOS, and I doubt you'll have any trouble.

Back