• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamitoko

Hey everyone, I'm looking to step my RAM up a bit and I've been out of the industry for a little while. Currently I'm running 1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460. I'm looking to go to 16GB or maybe 32 depending upon the cost of the upgrades.

My current MOBO is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157511 and will support up to 32GB. It's looking like it would be relatively cheap to just buy another 8GB of the RAM that I have currently, but I definitely want to explore my options and when it comes to current knowledge about the market, I absolutely trust you guys more than any other source.

For reference purposes, I built the computer from the ground up in September of 2015.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

If you do just buy another stick, make sure it's exactly the same PN. If you want to buy another brand/speed/etc., check the mobos website for the QVL (qualified vendor's list) and make sure that the PN you buy is listed. Some boards are sensitive to this, and you don't want to buy something your board doesn't like and have a no boot situation... :)

If you do just buy another stick, make sure it's exactly the same PN. If you want to buy another brand/speed/etc., check the mobos website for the QVL (qualified vendor's list) and make sure that the PN you buy is listed. Some boards are sensitive to this, and you don't want to buy something your board doesn't like and have a no boot situation... :)

Thank you for the info, I'll definitely take a look at the list and see if there's anything good looking on there!

It's looking like here, my most economical option is going to be to just buy another purchase of my current RAM to double the capacity, is there any glaringly better option/problem with that solution?

Last edited:
Just check pricing--sometimes with the prices of memory nowadays, it may be cheaper to buy a larger new kit, and just trash the one stick you've got.

Back